Yellow Tang is still hiding...

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. I haven't been on that site in a while. Hope all of you are doing well...

All of my fish are doing well.my 2 clowns, my yellow tang, my blenny (I assume it is ok even tho I haven t seen it for the past 3 weeks, my star looks good, and corals as well..... My yellow tang always eat all the dry sea weed I give him. But he is always hiding! Still.... I barely see it!!!Ive had him for a while now.... Even at feeding time, he won t come out, he just hides behind the rocks... Everytime he see me walk, he just goes and hide for 15 minuts!! Pretty fish, but I don t even get to see him! When freinds come over, i have to show them a picture of my fish in the book, cause it just hides. People ask if I have fish in my tank, cause the tang is nowhere to be seen, the blenny as well always hide, the star hides under rocks until feeding time at night... :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: Why is everything hiding?:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Glad to see you're back Sxy,
I always find Yellow Tangs to be a timid fish.When I had one years ago it took her a long time to get accustom to my tank.Slowly but surely,she gotten a little braver as time when on.Maybe thats what yours need,time.I'm sure others may chime in with their experience.As far as the Blenny,what kind did you have again?I had quite a few through the years(Bi-color,Red Lip,Scooter)and none were shy,just the opposite really,very active.Not to be thinking of the worst but you sure the blenny hasn't met his maker?Star fish,never had any,so I don't know about that one.

Probably haven't help much,but the best of luck.

Thanx reeffreak, well the blennie is an sainfin/algae blennie. i see him once every 3 weeks if i m lucky. ever since i bought it, ive seen it 3 times!! Yeah... that kinda sux...I guess i am reassured that it is mostly normal for a tang to hide all day... And hopefully, time will work things out!

I m just mad that everything in my tank is hiding! Looks like i have no fish!! The only thing always visible are my 2 clowns...

My Hippo was the same way for a long time - he was a bit more brave than yours - but still loved to hide. Unfortunately - a bit too much - he tried to wedge himself under an unstable rock and got crushed when it collapsed on him.

But - on a positive note - it was the loss of him that helped jumpstart our desire to convert the tank into a reef tank instead of just fish.

That's so sad Adrastos. Poor fishy.

Beemr we have wondered where you got off to. I hope your tang does get over its shyness. Reefreak might be right, just give it more time.:D

hello sxy..maybe is the fish..cause in my case is totally the oposite..since i bough my yellow tang hes always running all over the aquarium and always eating....he likes when people gets close..he starts to show off..ive heard that yellow tangs are shy ..but mines never hides..even at nightime if he heards somting he gets out were he usually hides to see whats going on..i guess i had good luck with him..i guess all fishes are like us humans..they all have their personality..good luck

It was a bummer - we got him as a very tiny guy - we had him for a few years.. he was getting up there size!

Hey Sxy
Glad to see you back.
I'll agree with everbody else on fishy personalities,There just like us.Some are shy,some are show offs.I,ve seen tangs at the LFS that hid all day while some were out acting like they owned the store.
I'll bet your sailfin blenny has found himself a hole he really likes and is staying close to it to keep other fish out.My bi-color blenny does that,only his hole is right on top of a big chunk of rock.
Star fish are just naturally nocturnal.The only time I ever see my serpent star is when im watching my tanks at night.

just give it a while and eventually the fish will settle down. sometimes it helps to cover the tank ends so only the front panel is viewable.

Wow.. Well thanx to all!! Ive been super busy lately.... A lot happening with work and personal stuff...
Well my yellow tang, i barely see it... I mean as soon as I walk about 15 meters from the tank, he just goes and hides. night time, i never saw him once. he just hides behind the rocks. Sometimes during the day, i catch him grazing on rocks. I have to hide behind a wall (which is probably 10 meters) away from my tank. And he always sees me, even tho i m hiding! LMAO... I m starting to hate on him!!!! I loved tangs so much!!!! And now that i have one, I hate it. He's my favorite fish, and I never get to see him!!!!!!! As for the star, it always comes out at feeding time... So I watch it... So intriging!! I absolutely love stars!! Anyone think i could buy another one??? Can you mix stars ? or would i have to buy another serpent star? Any pretty stars that comes out during the day? and my clowns, always hang out in the same corner, but I could almost pet them! The clowns are amazing! Luv them!

Yote, well I woudn t be surprised at all if my blennie have found a hole somewhere... I have so much rocks!! My friend told me he saw it tonight... Weird cause i never see it!?!? So i suppose it is still alive...lol Haven t found him floating... So must be hiding somewhere!

As for the tang, ive had it for a while now.... I bought it at the begenning of February! 2 months, and he s still hiding! He still haven t came out once at feeding time!!!! He's aggravating me!!!!! Rigosharon, youre lucky!! i wish my tang was a show off!!!!!!!

JHNRB, i d cover the tank.. but one side is against a wall, the back is against a wall as well... so there is only the front and 1 side.... if i cover the side, won t look so good....:(

What other fish do you have in the system. maybe 2 or three chromis (green) as community fish which will give the tang some feeling of security if it sees other fish in the open. just a thought. personally i would just wait it out for a few more months. once the fish settles down you will really like um. this is where the patients comes in again. good luck. keep us posted.

JHNRB,

I have 1 yellow tang, 2 occelaris clowns, 1 sailfin blennie, 1 serpent star, 3 snails.... and I think that s it.... Any prettier looking fish??/ i ain t a fan of chromis myself...

Chromis are open water swimmers and relay a message of safeness to the other fish. if not a chromis then just wait it out. the chromis may not work anyways. just another item that works for some. tangs will react to color, things that move in the room, and mine use to watch tv. well anyways especially when there was a national geographic show on the ocean playing. (just kidding of course) seriously though the best policy at this time is patients. good luck.

Welcome back Sxy! I'd say you have a shy fishy. Our tang will come up to the glass and stare at you like he's carrying on his own conversation. Your blenny probably found a nice little niche somewhere. I didn't see mine for a month after I got it, then one day noticed this little hole he likes. Very rarely does he come out in the open. I agree, it's annoying to buy a fish you never see!!

Hehe... So i guess I should just wait then.... I mean the only thing I see in my tank are my 2 clowns and that's it!!!! lol... but ok... I will keep on waiting i guess.... Wow.. everyone seems to own a nice tang, except for me!! LMAO!!!!!

Back