Yellow tang issues

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Today was a upgrade day (stronger return pump and added k4 powerhead). Water is moving so much more now its great.

After about 5 or so hours my yellow tang has stared breathing really fast. I tested the water and all is 0 and ph is 8.1. plus i did a water change today so i'm pretty sure water quality is not the issue here...

All i can think of is 3 reasons why this would happen- 1. My anemone getting injured has something to do with this or 2. The tang is having trouble breathing because of the water flow changes, could this have affected oxygen content in the tank?

Or three, the skimmer because i also upgraded how much bubbles get in, A LOT more.

hectic day today. Thanks for any input.

i think that it is just because of the enviroment change a few days when it gets use to the changed enviroment it will be fine i bet.

Ok i'm pretty sure its not the anemone because this morning the anemone seems normal as always, clowns are in it and the injury seems to be minor (although it has covered it up and i cant see)

But the tang is still acting really weird. Breathing fast and he seems a little dazed & confused...like he is having a hard time keeping his equilibrium. I'm not ure exactly what's going on but i hope he makes it thru.

Fish have been known to act weird and erratic when they get stung by anemones. They tend to swim around frantically and breath very heavily. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it if this is the case. I hope your fish gets better. Chances are pretty good that it will recover with time, especially if it's still around today.

Update on the Tang...he is doing much better. Breathing is slowing down and he actually started to pick algae again.

I'm not sure but my guess would be that he just couldnt handle the water flow changes. I went from barely having x10 flow to x30 instantly...i should have increased the flow slowly and given the fish a chance to adjust but i just didnt know that this could have happened...oh well, lesson well learned and I'm glad he is getting better.

Good deal.
I never would would have thought about adding flow that quick would cause a problem for the fish.

me neither. But i had only 4 really crappy powerheads before and between all 4 they were pushing maybe 700-800 gals per hour, if even that. It was crap flow. so all i can think of is that it caused some changes in oxygen when i added so much more flow at once. its just a wild guess tho.

I did notice the tang would swim to the opposite side of the flow when i changed the position of new powerheads. he would go as far away from the direction of the flow as possible and just stay there and breath really heavy. But now he is coming around and is starting to swing more.

Back