Yellow tang/ Long nose Butterfly fish

photokaty

Reefing newb
I just introduced a Long Nose Butterflyfish into my tank yesterday and all day yesterday and so far today from what I have seen, the Yellow Tang just keeps picking on him. He will nip at his fins and hit him with the white spot on his tail.... has anyone else had any problems with these two fish together? Or is there anything I can do to stop this? I have tried several times to catch the tang and put him into my sump, but he is a fast little bugger.....

i love YTs but they can be aggressive, and as mr. nemo stated, butterfly fish are quite shy, im not an expert, but at my work, when we intorduce fish at tthe same time, they seem to co-exist alot better

Did the butterfly go in your reef tank? Keep a close eye out for your corals. Not reef safe. Anyway I believe after a few day they will start to get along.

Yes, they have been getting along much better now, and he is reef-safe "with caution" so I have heard. What I've read, they mostly just pick at feather dusters, and yes he has done that, but he hasn't messed with any of my other corals so I'm not too worried.

I had two dwarf angels in my reef. I listened to the reef safe with caution trash also. They went 4 yrs as perfect citizens but then they went to munching and almost wrecked my reef. Had to bite the bullet and tear the tank down. It`s not a matter of if but when. Be on the look out.

Back