Yellow Tang Looking Sick

+1 David
Your salinity does need to be a little higher for inverts.1.025-1.026 is perfect for them.
Just do like David suggested and top off with salt water until you've got it there.That way your not bringing it up to fast.

I've been buying salt water from my lfs which they get it directly from the ocean. Do you think thats better or should I do my own mix. By using ocean water am I missing anything and should I test for anything extra?

I believe it would be much safer to mix your own. There could be some contaminates in the water they're collecting unless they go a long distance out into the ocean to get it.

It's probably much cheaper to mix your own. I don't think there'd be anything extra to test for with the sea water. I'd test for nitrates beforehand just to be sure.

They actually charge me the same as RO water .50 per gallon so its pretty cheap. Thats why I have been using their water. I save my self the hassle of mixing and measuring. Since I'm in Miami, Fl I guess its cheaper here to get ocean water.

Why not get your RO water at the grocery store or Walmart? It'll be half that price or less.

Or buy an RODI unit. I got my RODI unit for less than $100.

The grocery store here sells the RO water for .89 cents per gallon. I want to put an RODI system but I have to make room for it first which will be a few more months.

I would never use ocean water. Its dirty. If you make your water you know for sure what is going into your tank. Also, ive noticed most LFS water is lower in salinity than most people prefer.

Back