Yellow Tang (new) not eating, VERY shy.

hey im 100% new to keeping saltwater fish. my step dad had done so for years, but hes not home very much. I just purchased a yellow tang (named him Blue ahaha just for the fun of it) and hes in a 200 gallon tank with a few more fish. hes the largest fish in the tank, its been running for 2 months now. I dont see much of him cuz hes always in the back of the tank. he wont eat the veggie flakes I put in. I have no seaweed/ algae he can eat. what should I do?? :frustrat: I dont wanna mess him up... hes awesome.. thanks for the help!!!

Ryan

They are but are you feeding your clowns the mysis and other stuff?

Its common for a fish to take a few days to get adjusted.

my yellow tang loves the red dried seaweed you get at the pet store, frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms and frozen ocean plankton...come to think of it ANYTHING in the frozen cubes is okay by him.
Give it a try...I would go with the mysis first (or brine as already suggested)
Good Luck

Give him a few days to adjust. Try soaking his food in garlic. Tangs will eat just about anything. Frozen food is best. Also hang a small sheet of dried algae on the glass or rubberband to a rock.

Emerald Entree is the best kind of frozen food for tangs. You can find it at fish stores, as well as Petco and Petsmart. You should also buy a suction cup clip and some dried seaweed at the pet store. My tangs (I have 4 of them) prefer the Julian Sprung brand. Like others have said, it usually takes a few days for a new fish to settle in and start eating.

When i first got my yellow tang, he was doing the exact same thing. For the first few days to a week, the fish was extremely shy and i never saw him come out to eat. But i think he was still eating algae when none was around the tank. They are so shy at first that they wont come out to eat even though there is nothing wrong with them. At least thats how it was with my yellow tang. Im sure your tang is eating algae you just dont know it because he is too shy to come out during actual feeding.

Even though tangs need some algae in their diet,99.9% will accept frozen foods.
BTW Welcome to the site.

Back