Yellow Tang not eating?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey all,

So Sarah and I got a yellow tang about 2-3 weeks ago. He is doing great, grazing and his colors are awesome. He seems like he is doing fine! My question is, I never see him eat when I feed the tank. I feed at night and I think he may be asleep but all my other fish come out and chow down (I feed a mix of pellets, flake, and rods food, I switch between the 3 every day). Is he not eating at all? I do see him grazing on algae all day long so I am guessing he is getting some food but should I be worried that I don't see him eating the food I am feeding the other fish? I am going to try and feed in the mornings when he is more awake and see what happens but I just wondered if I should be concerned.

I believe tangs are primarily herbivores. Try hanging some seaweed/nori sheets from a feeding clip for him to munch on!

That is strange that he is not eating, mine is a pig. Have you tried nori/seaweed? It's important that you hang some nori from a clip every day, this is a good one: Two Little Fishies VeggieMag Feeding Clip - English

You can also get a cheap suction cup one from Petco.

It may take him a few to get used to it, but his sense of smell will eventually get the better of him.

You might have to experiment with other foods. Pick up some emerald entree if you can find some, (I know petco carries it); my tang goes nuts over it.

Do you have a clip where you keep nori sheets? If not, you need to go out and get one. While most tangs will eventually learn to eat pellets and such, they absolutely NEED nori sheets on a regular basis, or they will not be healthy long term. I feed my tangs nori sheets almost every day, if not every day - every other at the most

If he won't eat regular nori, I always get seaweed that has garlic added to it. As soon as I add it to the tank and step back my yellow tang goes nuts for it.

well, he seems like he is doing fine! I fed the tank Rod's food this morning and he ate some of that and I tried the seeweed with no success. I'm going to try and put it down more by his little hole that he hangs out in. I was glad to see him eating Rods. He seems fine with little stress!

It's good that he's eating something, but long term he is going to need seaweed, there is no way around this

Get yourself one of those Two Little Fishes magnetic algae clips and some of the Ocean Nutrition Nori Sheets with added Garlic. Tear off a a 2x2 piece and hang it on the clip

Back