Yellow tang (red spots)

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Yet another yellow tang issue. My tang has 2 or 3 small red spots on it which i know is some kind of bacterial infection. I'm not sure why this has happened as i only have 5 fish in the tank (4 of them really small) and have been doing water changes consistently and water stats are all 0.

Red spots are usually caused by poor water quality but i have no idea why i would be having bad quality water. Dont have any filter running except for Skimmer, LR, and a lot of macro. thats all.

The tang is not eating but he is also not acting weird other than the fact he seems less social (he is breathing normal and swims normal, but the fact he is not eating has me worried). What can i do about this bacterial infection? My QT cracked and i dont want to risk it. Is this something the fish can overcome on his own?

Any help is appreciated.

I'd about get another tank to use for QT on this one.Plus the old stand by's.Soak food in garlic.:dunno:

Thanks Yote, i guess I'll buy another QT tomorrow. I never had to deal with red spots before so i'm not sure what type of medication would work best. Should i put him in copper?

If its bacterial,I doubt copper would do any good.Probably have to use either Erythromycin or Penicillin.But thats just a guess.

Possibilities that come to mind are Anchor worms, TB, and naturally bacterial. for feeding provide some marine select. make sure it is the marine type or natural nori from the heath food place with no additives on a clip dangle into the water or use a lettuce clip. leave in for day and remove before it falls apart. fold over and double up to keep thickened wad, will stay together better. about quarter of sheet. if not eaten remove and add another fresh piece. do this for at least 5 days. if fish is still not eating remove or quaranteen. also see if you can tell if the gill plates are discolored. this may be indicative of specific problems also. good luck.

Copper is only for parasites. That sounds bacterial which improved water quality usually takes care of. You can do 3-5 min f/w dips with methylene blue.
Make sure the fw is the same pH and temp as your tank water before you do the dip.

Possibilities that come to mind are Anchor worms, TB, and naturally bacterial. for feeding provide some marine select. make sure it is the marine type or natural nori from the heath food place with no additives on a clip dangle into the water or use a lettuce clip. leave in for day and remove before it falls apart. fold over and double up to keep thickened wad, will stay together better. about quarter of sheet. if not eaten remove and add another fresh piece. do this for at least 5 days. if fish is still not eating remove or quaranteen. also see if you can tell if the gill plates are discolored. this may be indicative of specific problems also. good luck.

Thanks jhnrb. Actually i just noticed that on the top part of his gills its more "loose" or "flapper" so it makes it look like there is a hole. But its just open wider on the very top part. Could that mean anything specific?

Back