Yellow Tang Substitute

It's quite unlikely that I'll be upgrading any time soon. I realize that the minimum tank size for the blue jaw on liveaquaria.com is 125 gallons but most sites say 75 gallons. On liveaquaria.com it also says 125 gallons minimum for the purple tang.

Um, one of the reasons I like the blue jaw so much is that you can usually keep it with invertebrates. I realize that it's more interesting to have a cool fish then a couple of invertebrates but there's also some pretty cool crabs and stuff out there.
Thats entirely up to you....i made the choices i made because thats what i wanted ...i have an angel and triggers and a PT.....so i don't have cool corals or inverts(but my fish are pretty cool IMO:wink:)....
As far as minimum tank sizes and what one site says compared to another?.......
Well,thats just it,,,,,i think they are all so random and useless....just use some common sense ...So,i'm not going to tell you to go ahead and get a PT or blue jaw or whatever,thats up to you..but IMO ,i think they'd be OK for awhile

You should trust liveaqauria.com before those other sites. Remember, they are trying to sell you a product, and they will sell more of that product if they change it to tank sizes people have. And then they will make more money when the fish stresses out and dies and you go back and buy another one.
I do sort of trust LA,but it wasn't just 3 months or so ago they drastically changed ALL, their tank sizes for large Angels from 125 to 225 to 280 and up....:question:

so i don't have cool corals or inverts(but my fish are pretty cool IMO:wink:)....

Why can't you keep any corals, the triggers eat them?

OhNoNemo said:
so,i'm not going to tell you to go ahead and get a PT or blue jaw or whatever,thats up to you..but IMO ,i think they'd be OK for awhile

The thing is that I need a fish that will be good in a 110 for the rest of their life...

Since you are counting on having the eel, can I assume you are planning on a fish-only (not reef) tank before I make suggestions regarding fish?

I have no idea, that isnt a section of their site i usually look on . . . but im glad they did. I would have a lot of trouble putting a fish that gets to be over a foot big in 125.

But, exciting news for the waaaay in the future planning! Im going to try and set up an angel tank for when i move out to cali and pay off my student loans! Not sure if it will even work, but id love the idea of it.

Bifferwine said:
Since you are counting on having the eel, can I assume you are planning on a fish-only (not reef) tank before I make suggestions regarding fish?

I'm hoping to keep corals eventually but obviously little clowns and other small reef fish are out of the question...

Last edited:
Angels ,corals don't mix well...
The problem i have is yes angels do "sometimes" reach a foot,but so do triggers and tangs....at this rate we will all just have nano fish to look forward too....i think there is some problems with inexperienced angel keepers and they keep having to refund or whatever...now they have a new tank minimum ,,knowing hardly anyone has those sizes

but your eel is 2'6"":wink:

Agreed. But I don't think my tank is too small for my eel though. He doesn't move around a whole lot.

Yah!

I think some sort of puffer would work,,but be careful no inverts ,and some of them can reach a foot

oops wrong quote

EDIT: just get a 6 inch angler :wink:

Last edited:
My father tried a small puffer once... :death: But I don't think you can blame the eel for it since he hardly looked at it... It pretty much died from heart attack. I think I would if I was put in a jar under the ocean with a 24' snake...

OhNoNemo said:
EDIT: just get a 6 inch angler :wink:

Hold on, let me do a little research on them.

So how attached to this eel are you then?
Sell the whole set-up start fresh with a 180

I wouldn't get rid of the eel for the world. I've wanted one all of my life...:bowdown:

Trust me, I would get a 180 if I could but I'm a 12 year old making $40 a weak...

And about the angler... It sounds like they need live food, that's not something I'm wiling to give.

What about a maroon clown? They have like a 5" one at my LFS.

Last edited:
Wow,your 12......well good for you for doing what your doing.,and actually coming off sounding like a mature adult ....
a maroon would be cool
,and keep saving that paper route money

Back