Yellow Tang Substitute

So you guys all think I should just give up on the triggerfish idea? And from videos and stuff that I've seen it seems like clowns get really depressed without an anemone. I don't have the proper lighting or water quality to keep an anemone right not. But hopefully Biff's magical chaeto and the protein skimmer I'm about the order will help the water quality a lot. And I'll probably ask for a more powerful light for my birthday.

I wouldn't get rid of the eel for the world. I've wanted one all of my life...:bowdown:

Trust me, I would get a 180 if I could but I'm a 12 year old making $40 a weak...

And about the angler... It sounds like they need live food, that's not something I'm wiling to give.

What about a maroon clown? They have like a 5" one at my LFS.
No not true at all....mine has been eating frozen since the day it was delivered to my door...he eats frozen scallops and regular table shrimp and krill,and damsels of course
should probably skip the trigger ,yes

And from videos and stuff that I've seen it seems like clowns get really depressed without an anemone.

I don't think they get depressed at all. I don't think they really care. We care more about anenomes than clownfish do. I don't have and never will have an anenome in my tank. I've got 2 clowns..

If it's hosting you're concerned with.. A clown will host just about anything. Mine hosted my toadstool leather for quite awhile till I moved my tank...Now he's hosting my open brain.

How about the maroon clown and a striated angler: Striated Angler

Would the angler eat my invertebrates? And it says it's peaceful, those that mean that it's likely to get picked on?

PRC said:
If it's hosting you're concerned with.. A clown will host just about anything. Mine hosted my toadstool leather for quite awhile till I moved my tank...Now he's hosting my open brain.

Do you think he would host a rock? :lol:

Last edited:
You don't need an anemone at all. Clowns will host rocks, powerheads, heaters, tufts of algae, they will host anything. Don't let that keep you from getting a clown!

It will not eat snails or hermits or stars,but will eat shrimp...peaceful just means he keeps to himself and won't look to fight or pick on anything.....it may eat a maroon though ,depending on its size,but your eel may eat whatever you put in

Last edited:
If you are set on an angler and a clown ,the clown should be at least 1 and half times the angler....but they grow very quick....a 5-6 inch angler would be awesome though IMO

Yes he does,,but keep in mind he won't stay that color unless you have a lot of brown/ tan surroundings ......they change colors to blend into the surroundings ....mine was very light when i got him now he's very dark, almost black,because i have black sand in his tank

It's not 1.5 times smaller then the clown, do you think he'd be alright? And probably the clown is more like between 4 and 6".

If they are close to the same size or if the angler is a little bigger it could be risky...i have seen videos of anglers with half a fish hanging out its mouth

I wouldn't put an angler in the tank with other smaller fish unless you wouldn't mind the angler eating them.
And I also wouldn't put a trigger in your tank.

I can't speak for the eel ,i have never owned one and don't really know too much about them......but they are predators.....soo

Anglers perch and hop and kind of bob in the water and creep on the bottom and are slow(until they strike)...they don't really swim....i would hate to see you get one only to become an eel snack....
i guess if you kept the eel fed well and got a good sized angler it may work

That's another problem, I've been having a lot of trouble getting my eel to eat lately. I've heard that it's quite common for eels stop eating for a while. Should I wait until he starts eating again?

Back