Yellow Tang

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Ok, so I have a thing for tangs. I like to get lots of opinions and experience before I add a fish to my tank. I am thinking about adding a yellow tang to my tank. I am not sure how well he will do in my tank. I have heard that he will get along with the regal tang and I heard that he won't. What do you all think? a 125 with two tangs. Will they kill each other? I gave up on the powder blue. I need a splash of color to my tank and it is either a yellow tang or a foxface. thanks in advance for your input!!!

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Ive had all three in a 125, the regal and yellow would spar a bit from time to time but never any damage to either, but, I did keep um well fed too. if you want to settle for one or the other (fox face or yellow tang) Id suggest the fox face.

a 125 will be fine for a couple of tangs. that will give them enough space to where they are not fighting. make sure you give them some algae to eat. like nori or something like that. in one of my 240 gallon tanks I have a hippo, yellow and a sailfin and they get along great!!!!

thanx for the info. I am not sure if a foxface is aggressive enough for my tank. My fish are SO aggressive when it comes to feeding time. Which reminds me, I wonder if I have too many fish in my tank. I have a tomato clown (3 in), Niger trigger (3 in), Regal Tang (5 in), Volitan (5 in), 2 blue damsels (1 in each), coral beauty (2 in), white-eyed moray eel (8 in), and a brown banded bamboo shark (12 in)- all measured from the gill to the start of the tail (what was recommended by my LFS). What do you think?

Thanx,

Dr Marco :sfish:

if you have your water parameters under control, low nitrates, oxygen level at apprx. 7+, then you are fine, but if any of the items are out of whack, your bio load is too high. only you can determine when enough is enough, and if you dont your system will. good luck.

well, my shark finally wore out his welcome. He ate my coral beauty and a damsel. It was a sad day, but he has gone to a shark tank in my LFS. I mourn his loss, but on the bright side, I have lots of room for two more big fish!!! I was thinking about a sailfin and yellow tang. Too many tangs? Can I have two Regal tangs? I am never sure about whether fish will get along. I was wondering about my Niger trigger getting long with a bluejaw trigger? Lots of options, so many questions, what to do? opinions?

I would not recommend a sailfin with a yellow tang. The things that promote conflict with fish are same prefered food, size, same shape, color. As for the rabbit fish dont worry, that fish can hold its own if truly threathened. poison spines handle with care. Not completely reef safe though. seems like its time for you to secure a good marine fish book. I would recommend the following to start that will give you some idea of the needs of the fish, MARINE FISHES, by: Scott W. Michael ISBN: 1-890087-38-6 and the following for compatibility: THE NEW MARINE AQUARIUM (step by step setup and stocking guide) by: Michael S. Paletta ISBN: 1-890087-52-1. hope something here helps.

I have that marine fish book (i think), and it is marvelous, although I have found that the feeding schedule is not realistic - three times a day for any fish seems to promote a lot of cyanobacteria in my tank!!!lol. The book gives good ideas about feeding fish and certain tankmates, but I also like to hear what experienced aquarists have found. I can't ask books questions and I love to hear from you folks. I appreciate all your feedback.

Today I got an Atlantic Blue Tang. It is so pretty, although I do not know as much about that tang as others. He seems very comfortable in my tank and has not had a problem with his peers. He hid for 20 minutes and then was swimming around the tank in the open. I also added a copperband butterfly. He was eating in the LFS and is very large. Hope the book was right and that he is reef safe. Love to hear input from anyone who has had an Atlantic Blue. I have never seen one before in my LFS, no idea how rare they are in the trade, but he/she sure is pretty. Thanks all.

I was just interested because i had never heard of that fish before... some quick poking around on other boards and this is what others have said..

1) requires better water quality than most tangs.
2) comes from the carribean
3) gets huge
4) meaner than most tangs... can become very aggressive

I don't have one and don't know much about them but just some info from other forums/sites I found.

I would love to see a picture of yours....

Just a last thought based on your last response to my input. it is always realistic to feed the amount of times the books recommend. you just feed smaller amounts so the overall total amount of food stays the same. just thought that needed to be clarified. however, I do understand your intent with your questions now and appreciate that clarification. good luck and hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do. happy fishin.

thank you so much for your input. I hope I did not come across as arrogant or unappreciative. I know I have a lot to learn and have made many mistakes along the way. So far, the only recent fatalities I have suffered were from my shark eating his tankmates. I must be doing something right!!!lol. I moved my rocks around the other day when I removed my shark. I will try and post new pics of the tank and its inhabitants. Thanks all!!!

One thing that this site provides is that I do not get offended. it is not possible to share the nature behind the written word, but just for the record I have enjoyed your thread and deffinitly am not offended. Your responses were very appropirate and no offence was taken. hope all is well with your project and would enjoy a picture of the new addition/s.

Dr Marco said:
So far, the only recent fatalities I have suffered were from my shark eating his tankmates. I must be doing something right!!!lol. QUOTE]

Some might argue that a extra planning and research up front and you would could have spared the coral beauty and damsel though...

You honestly have a strange mixture of fish, sharks, tangs, clowns, damsels, lions, triggers, eel...

I would suggest slowing down on the fish additions for a while. Remeber fish will need room to grow also.

Thanks you all for the kind words, I have been in other posting places where personal offense was taken. It is nice to have a moderator with such wisdom and knowledge. As far as planning ahead, I must admit, I was rather impatient at the start of this whole journey. I do have a rather interesting mix of fish and I love it. I have recently added new fish more quickly than I normally do (about once a month normally, but I had not added fish for about two months prior to just now). I feel bad about losing the coral beauty (although he did eat my torch coral - lol) and value their lives and take great care of my boys (girls? - who knows :mrgreen: ) I am in the process of posting new pics right now and should be up in about 10 minutes - not to mention it is feeding day!!! talk to you all soon.

Back