yellow tang

Not arguing at all. Just saying that if my fish were as big as yours, I don't think I'd feel comfortable keeping them in my tank. I don't know how long it'd take for my yellow tang to get to be 8 inches long, but I suspect I have plenty of time before I have to upgrade.
I doubt you fish grow anymore, fish will never reach they're max size in captivity. no matter how big of a tank we give our fish the environment is never the same

They may not achieve the sizes they get to in the wild but; according to LA their sizes are the max. size attainable in an aquarium
Live Aquaria said:
Displays the maximum size the individual species will attain in the average home aquarium. This will vary depending on the size of the aquarium, the quantity and size of other tank mates, the diet that the fish is provided, water conditions and the amount of free-swimming room within the aquarium. We highly recommend using this maximum size when planning the inhabitants for your aquarium so you do not run into an overstocked aquarium in the future.

They may not achieve the sizes they get to in the wild but; according to LA their sizes are the max. size attainable in an aquarium

"This will vary depending on the size of the aquarium, the quantity and size of other tank mates, the diet that the fish is provided, water conditions and the amount of free-swimming room within the aquarium. "

This was basically the questions i had....if 2 people got the same fish ,same size,same age,,,ect. ect. ,,,fed the same ,,care for the same,ect.ect.,,,,only one was in a 55 and one was in a 225 ,would they grow the same rate,same size ???
Just something i always wondered,and thats why i always question whenever i see or hear that SW fish growth is not inhibited by tank size..

I was told a long time ago that the size of the tank didn't affect SW fish size the same way it does for FW fish. But I'm not sure if there's any scientific data to back that up.

Yeah NK,i just thought with all the claims out there(not just here,but everywhere),that it was something already tested and proven...its a head scratcher for sure...

Meaning $$ for the project and such... .JMO,but i don't think too many people will jump on board for that....Too bad it can't be presented to some place that has all the necessary equipment and let them do it...

Well, it could actually be very simple. Everyone agrees to buy the same fish, about the same size. Then you have several different tank sizes, and a few different feeding options. Then everyone post a pic of the fish and some info on how the fish is doing monthly.

The more people involved, the more we can fine tune other aspects of the project such as tank mates.

Could get interesting ,but i think since it is the tang mostly brought up in these discussions it should be tangs....Agree??
then theres the whole age thing...IDK how simple it really would be,but sounds awesome,if we could somehow figure it out

Age thing would be almost impossible to control because they are all wild caught, but i was hoping to make up for that by getting them at the same size. This is assuming that in the wild they have a more standard growth rate and size could be an indication of age for them.

And i agree, tangs would be the study subject.

I think if you were going to do it, all the set-ups, feedings and everything would have to be exactly the same to see the effects of strictly the size of the tank being a factor.

Well, i was thinking of having a 180, 125, 90 and maybe a 55. There would be 4 or so people with each tank size, and then one person out each tank group would feed a specific food. That way were could compare tank sizes (food stays the same) and how food effects growth (tank size stays the same)

I think if you were going to do it, all the set-ups, feedings and everything would have to be exactly the same to see the effects of strictly the size of the tank being a factor.
+1 ,,,
lets just keep the idea fresh,and possibly see if its even doable long term

Youre upgrading!!! That is going to be awesome!!! Going to try and sneak in a few more fish while the humu is confused about the move?

Ya, it would take a few months to get this organized. Plus i want to make sure that people involved are committed. I dont want any flash and gone stuff.

Back