yellow tang

Youre upgrading!!! That is going to be awesome!!! Going to try and sneak in a few more fish while the humu is confused about the move?

Ya, it would take a few months to get this organized. Plus i want to make sure that people involved are committed. I dont want any flash and gone stuff.
Yeah,i need an 8 footer....want another angel and a "niger" :wink:.....and i'm "hoping " it will make my humu's head spin just enough to calm him down a bit...

So,lets just keep this idea around and see what happens:Cheers:

I have a yellow and a sailfin in my 180g. All of my Tangs are bigger than most that I see.

Sailfin 5"
Yellow 5"
Orange Shoulder 6"

My Yellow has grown quite a bit since I got him, he was probably 3.5" when I got him. My sailfin doesn't look like he's grown at all. and considering that he "should" grow to be the biggest tang in my tank, that's interesting.
My Orange Shoulder has grown, and is bigger than every other Orange shoulder I've ever seen personally, but he still has his "juvey" colors.

After a little research, it seems that orange shoulders may never go into their mature coloration unless they're the dominant fish in the tank. (Which is a bummer)...He's such an asshole, it would make it worthwhile if he'd change colors.

In regard to my Yellow Tang, he grew fast when I first got him, but the growth has certainly slowed or stalled.

I've had all of these fish for over a year.

I did find this article
Stocking the Reef Aquarium, Part 1 by Marine Depot Staff

Many years ago, before the underlying concepts of waste management in closed systems and how they affect growth rates in fish were understood, people who kept aquaria didn't really understand the need for performing water changes. They also noticed that fish tended to stop growing at an earlier age in smaller tanks, than they did in larger tanks. This lead to the erroneous assumption that the physical size (dimensions) of the tank determined the physical size of the fish. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Here's why:

All animals will reach the size they grow to as a function of their genetic potential and their ability to take advantage of that potential. To illustrate, let's look at people - even siblings grow up to be different heights because the genes that determine growth rate and final size are different for everyone. As long as one receives proper nutrition and exercise, and is kept in good health, one will reach the maximum height that one's genes will allow for. Raising a child in a bathroom, will not turn them into a midget, as long as they get proper diet and perform calisthenics/exercise, have access to good fresh air and water to breathe and drink, (though they may go mental from boredom ;p ), and aren't subject to re-breathing their own CO2, or re-consuming their own waste. Also to illustrate, if you try to keep an elephant in a 6'x6' cube from birth, it will not become a cube shaped elephant measuring 6'x6' as an adult. You will end up with a busted cube. ;p

If an Oscar is kept in a 20 gallon tank, that is then plumbed/piped into a 1000 reservoir system, it will reach a foot long in spite of the physical size of the tank-since it's wastes are not building up in the system to the point of interfering biologically with it's growth potential. Alternatively, you can achieve the same result by performing daily water changes. One of the main waste products that fish produce is an anti-growth hormone, the function of which is most likely to ensure that the largest fish from a group of offspring, get a better survival chance than their slower growing siblings, to help increase the percentage of faster growing (and therefore better suited for survival) offspring in successive generations. This is often observed in closed systems.

Very good read....i guess his last line says it all "he bottom line is that the physical dimensions of any aquarium have nothing to do with the end size of a fish, the management and water quality do. :) "

You could try emailing a public aquarium...if anyone's going to be able to have equal water/same food/most similar fish etc., it'll be them. I have a feeling some marine biologists would be interested as well.

How long has your sailfin been in there? i want one but figured with getting a yellow and only having a 4 foot tank it would work out

I've had the sailfin probably for a year and a half. It's smaller than the yellow tang. They fought at first, but worked out there differences within a week or two. :)

What about 2 yellow tangs in 90 gallon? Is that to many?

I introduced 2 to my tank and they are about 3 inches. Will they harass my small fish? These will be the largest fish I get for my tank. They are the biggest now and will remain the largest fish I put in there.

If thats to many I will probably take one to my LFS to see if I can get some credit.

I bought them off someone selling them 25 each.

I got a Hippo, Yellow, Lieutenant, and a Naso all at the same time. Well the Hippos was a few months earlier.

The only one that has grown is the Hippo. It was the same 2-3" as the Naso and now it looks twice the size of it.

The Lieutenant is like 5" and the Yellow is about 4.5" but many they have not grown. Geesh none of my fish even look like they grew in over a year except the Hippo. I think it is taking steroids.

What about 2 yellow tangs in 90 gallon? Is that to many?

I introduced 2 to my tank and they are about 3 inches. Will they harass my small fish? These will be the largest fish I get for my tank. They are the biggest now and will remain the largest fish I put in there.

If thats to many I will probably take one to my LFS to see if I can get some credit.

I bought them off someone selling them 25 each.

If you keep the tank lightly stocked i think you will be okay, but there is to guaruntee. As the fish get older / larger they may start to have issues with each other

All this sw fish got me thinking storm wind city fishing. And if I do stay in one country for longer than 6 months , I'll do the test too.

I've been staring at my tank for a while wondering if it was truly a 90 gallon. So I input the measurements and low and behold it was 75 gallons. The guy I bought it off lied to me. Oh well. But now it affects my tangs. What should I do guys? Sell one. Keep the smaller. Or sell both. Honest opinions. Thanks!

75 or 90, i think only one should be in there, just not enough territory for two of them.

And that is really typical for craigslist, when i first got my tank it was sold to me as a 55, turns out is only 46. So double check and test everything before buying.

Yes little a valuable lesson learned.. First craigslist experience as I have always been weary and scared of the people selling stuff on there.

Back