yet another algae question

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
Got another algea-related question for the gurus: My hair algae problem is nearly over - Marine SAT, lowered food input, shortened lighting cycle, Phosphate sponge, all have worked together to eliminate MOST of the problem. However, I still DO need to scrape stuff off the glass - and have found those magnets essentially worthless (except for picking up sand and then scratching the inside of the acrylic tank...D'OH!)...

A couple times a week I use those white algae pads the LFS store sells - and the algea is DAMN HARD to get off the plexi - In addition to the thin film of algae that removes readily with the edge of a credit card, I get brown spots that require scrubbing and lots of elbow grease. Is this just part of the routine that I can expect in the future or is there something else I need to do? If I use those magnets every day will the major muscle work be eliminated?

As always, thanks!

I get those tiny brown spots too.But mine tend to turn purple if I dont scrape off.
IMHO,I think there is always a tiny bit of algae thats gonna grow on the glass.Its just the nature of the beast.
To answer your question,The magnet cleaners will help if you run it through every day.

they sell acryllic tank hard algae scrapers that are made of plastic. they work but are a bit of a chore as opposed to the glass scrapers which have a metal blade

-Doc

How to get the hard algae off of acrylic is beyond me.I have a razor blade attachment for a mag float but its only safe on glass.I guess the best way is to clean it everyday regardless if it needs it or not.That way the hard stuff doesn't get a chance to build up.

Brown algae is usually more of a problem with new tanks rather than mature tanks. I do not know the age of your tank, but tank maturity makes a huge difference, plus experience usually equates to less algae. Live rock and sand (and its beneficial life forms)is more efficient as it matures at removing nutrients that feed algae. Remember scraping algae off the glass does not remove the nutrients from the water. If the scraped off algae is not filtered out it still must be removed by water changes, your live rock, skimmer etc. Dropping another power head in your tank after scraping off your algae is a good idea as it will do much toward keep the algae in suspension long enough to be remover by your surface skimmer that hopefully feeds a protein skimmer.

You Could Try Adding A Clean Crew Also If You Already Have't.. Just Added Snails To My Tank T Otry And Help.. My Tank Is About 8 Months Old And My Algea Is Just Not Starting To Get Undercontol.

Back