yet another nitrate problem.

queenangel77

Reefing newb
I have a 72 gallon tank with a 30 gallon refugium/sump. I have 130-140 lbs of live rock (tonga and Fiji premium) I have a protein skimmer wich is taking out loads of "crap" and seems to be working great. I have been doing water changes every 2-3 days(for 2 weeks) of 10-15 gallons to try and lower my nitrates. The problem is that it is not. I have tons of stuff growing in the fuge(chaeto) along with live rock. Uv sterilizer. All the stuff I should have. My nitrites are always 0. My ammonia reads zero. ca is 450.SG of 1.025.ph 8.3. My nitrates are steady between 10-20 ppm:frustrat:. I have taken out most of the corals and put them in the holding tank for fear of them dying along with 2 peppermint shrimp and a fire shrimp. Any questions on what else I can do to bring down the nitrates?
Thanks in advance!!:bowdown:

Oh yah... I know you all will ask for the fish list so here it is....
1-flame angel-4 inches
1-pink square anthias- 4 inches
1-powder blue tang-3 inches
1-Bi color blenny
1-Scooter dragonette
1-twin spot gobie
2-mated pair clowns
1-small bubble tip (hes healthy as can be and not dying.not the cause of the nitrates)
Had 2 peppermint and 1 fire shrimp but removed to holding tank.
1-Also have a reef safe star fish (red) dont know the name. about 2 inches. real small.

nitrates at 10 to 20 most likely aint going to hurt anything.Of course over 20 and its time to start to worry.
BUT.
How much and how often are you feeding? Pellets,flakes,or frozen?
Have you check the nitrates on the new water before doing the water change?

nitrates at 10 to 20 most likely aint going to hurt anything.Of course over 20 and its time to start to worry.
BUT.
How much and how often are you feeding? Pellets,flakes,or frozen?
Have you check the nitrates on the new water before doing the water change?
I am only feeding once in 3 days. Frozen brine/mysis/reef greens/and reef plus. I try to be very careful in only feeding what they can eat. They get pellets once a week but only a few. Not a fan of flake.
Levels in the water of the changes are zero. I have a RO unit and I just checked the water again yesterday coming out of it and its all zeros. After the salt it is zeros as well.

I would be thrilled if I could get my nitrates to consistently be at 20 :)

Yote's right, 10 to 20 is fine for a reef tank. 90% of corals won't be bothered by those levels. I've had nitrate spikes hit 150+ for weeks at a time, and my corals survived. Not that I would recommend it, I'm just saying that 10 to 20 isn't bad at all!!

You're not overstocked, you're not overfeeding, you have all the right equipment and maintenance routines...so...what kind of substrate do you have? Sand or crushed coral?

My favorite reply to nitrate issues: Check your test kit ;) My first experience with this type of issue turned out to be the test kit...even though I bought it long before the expiration date, and had only used it for 2-3 months, I couldn't get my nitrates to read below 20ppm...went to my lfs, did a side by side with my test kit and theirs...low and behold...I actually had 0ppm of nitrates according to their test kit! Mine still read 20ppm. Needless to say, I purchased a new kit.

Back