yet another typical noob question, frags?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I familiar with the great fragging that goes on in various shoot'em up video games, but why are some corals also called frags?

Also what are [SIZE=-1]Zoanthids?[/SIZE]

Their called frags because they are a fragment off the mother colony.
Zoanthids are a type of soft coral that is super easy to keep and grow fairly quick.

Frags = Fragmentation. Just like in a video game.

Also, some of the more experienced people can chop a coral into smaller bits and force it to split. That's way over my head however. :)

Here is a pic of zoa's. In my opinion one of the greatest corals there are for the ease of care and several color variations.
These are two kinds.
Picture185.jpg
[/IMG]

Zoas have endless color possibilities. The more rare and striking, the most costly. I have my eye on some pink ones that are HOT!!! oh, and expensive

-Doc

Doc Marco, I have two different types of pink zoas in my tank! One kind is a purplish pink, but my FAVORITES are a baby pink color, and each polyp is about the size of a dime. I paid $10 a head for 3 heads and now I have close to 20 heads and they are sooooo pretty!!!!

Doc Marco, I have two different types of pink zoas in my tank! One kind is a purplish pink, but my FAVORITES are a baby pink color, and each polyp is about the size of a dime. I paid $10 a head for 3 heads and now I have close to 20 heads and they are sooooo pretty!!!!

The ones I am looking at are crayon pink. Flamingo pink. Purple frills around the pink center. HOT. $25 for a plug of about 5-6 polyps. I will pick them up when I get back from Vegas. I love this place

-Doc

Zoas are one of my favorites. They come in so many beautiful colors. I need to get more once I get rid of the red crap.

Zoanthids make great frags for nutrient exports, just like Xenia's. So easy to grow and frag that you can afford to give them away if you cannot sell them. I have seen sumps with grates filled with plugs of both of them, not together though where the only reason they were grown was for export of nutrients. They would put a small frag on every other frag and the frags would quickly overgrow there plug and soon the empty one next to it. That was in commercial fragging operations of hard corals where the soft stuff was considered non commercial in value. Some people find some things acceptable practise that I would not. I would just give them away and probably destroy the local commercial market for them instead.

Back