yoooo!

Jschamber89

Reefing newb
Hello every body I just barely got into the Saltwater Hobby I have had a freshwater tank for a while now and I Have been looking for a place to get information and tips so that I succeed in having a really nice aquarium. So sorry if I have alot of random questions that I ask I just want to learn everything that I can. thanks everyone

AND never feel like a question is too stupid! We have all been there before. There are a lot of wonderful informative people on this site. It's by far the best one. A word of caution though. People are very passionate about this hobby and WILL tell you if they think you're doing something harmful to your animals; just remember it's constructive and not meant in any other way!

So, with that said, can you tell us where you at with your tank?

I have a 29 gallon tank that I have had set up for almost 7 weeks now with a Marineland Bio Wheel Filter, about 20 pounds of Live Rock (i probably should have a bit more), 2 inches of Live Sand about, and a 30 inch 2x65 Orbit Light with Lunar that I just barely got the other day so I bought a Green Stripe mushroom to see if I could handle taking care of it which its looking really healthy i just posted a picture of it in the photography section..

as for fish I have 2 Damsels and a Maroon Clown...I have about 7 snails with 2 crabs and I have a spotted Mandarin (which i just read on another post is not the best for beginners), about 4 weeks after I set up my tank I put tigger pods in there though so the mandarin has been eating those

and thats about where I am at with my tank so far.

welcome to the site, id go ahead and take the mandarin back to the fish store, chances are he has already eaten every pod in that tank and is now on his way to a slow death

Welcome - I am a freshwater/saltwater hobbiest myself. Freshwater - 4yrs and new to the saltwater world. You will get soooooo much information and help from this site!!!! I didn't realized how different it was going to be switching over, even after I read three books :) You will have days when you want to pull your hair out and days when you can't stop looking at your tank :)

Good luck and welcome!!!

I have put in 2 bottles of the reef nutrition tigger pods and I have 2 more in the fridge... the guy at my fish store said they should multiply is this true??

there isnt enough time for that to happen with how fast that little guy will eat them all, he can probably eat that whole bottle in a few days. what you need to do is set up a refugium connected to the tank and then give it ALOT of time to have the pods multiply

okay well maybe i'll just take him give him to a friend with a more established tank then do what you said. thanks for the advice! thats why i signed up for this site haha.

Yes, you can usually find two types of pods at your LFS. Tigger pods (like Yote said), are from the Arctic (which is why they are kept in the fridge when you buy them). They die soon after being added to tanks because reef tanks are just to warm. So Jschamber, it looks like you got some inaccurate advice from your LFS. They won't breed in your tank, and your mandarin will run out of food quickly.

On the other hand, you can also usually find bottles of reef pods, which do reproduce in our tanks.

Back