You really need that many snails in a CUC?

StuInFlag

Reefing newb
Looking at most clean-up crews offered on the internet, it seems like the number of snails is HUGE!

For a 36 gallon bow front, at reefcleaners.org, they have a total of 82 snails. (At least my bad math added up to that)

That just seems like wall-to-wall snails.

How does it make sense?

I agree that those numbers are high. There's no formula to determine how many snails a tank should have, as each tank will have different needs, and a different amount of algae and cleanup needed. It's better to start with a small number and add more snails as you need them. If you add too many at once, a lot of them may starve.

i would start will 10 ceriths
10 nerites
6 nassarus(small)
6 astrea's
2 turbo's
3 banded trochus
than try to find someone in hobby close by that has stomatella and collinista snails
cause they breed like crazy. for the best prices and customer service ipsf.com and reefcleaners.org have best prices.

I have a 27g and I have

2 mexican turbos
1 narcissus
2 cerinth snails
4 porcelain crabs
1 hermit
1 serpent starfish
(1 unwanted gorilla crab GRRR)

Its plenty. I started out with 3 hermits but a couple have died and I see no reason to get anymore. I dont know where they come up with those numbers its rediculous to me.

Start small, and add incrementally. You'll get to a point when the critters that you have do a pretty good job of keeping things clean. When you reach that point, you're good to go

depends on what kind of snails and if you have established tank or new tank. they put alot of dwarf ceriths which are really small in order. i put 40 dwarf ceriths alone in my 125 gallon and 25 in my 75 gallon.

the guys at reefcleaner.org are the best and have awesome customer service and know what there talking about and probally throw in extra's in the bag

I was just curious about this too for my 29 gallon. Im right in the middle of getting my cleanup crew.

Right now i just have

4 hermits (2 tiny ones)
2 nassarius
2 asteras
1 black turbo.

First time hearing about these black turbos. My lfs guy said theyre really good and dont get as big as mexican turbos so no worries about rocks or frags getting knocked over.

I may get a few more snails but well see how these do.

Im also going to get a star and a peppermint shrimp to get ride of my aiptasias. Then a cleaner later on.

my new 24 gallon nano has
6 small nassarus
3 nerites
4 ceriths
2 banded trochus
8 stomatellas
couple miniature brittle starfish
3 small keyhole limpets
4 collinista snails
5 tiny blue leg hermits

had 2 turbos but algae thining out so i moved them to my 75 gallon tank

Back