Your Experience needed here

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
QUICKDRAWING.jpg

which one of these setups is better? i ask because i was planning on making the first using a panworld50px-x but after thinking i see that all my pods would end up being chopped and skrewed (cha cha chopped and skre skre skrewwed). the first one also allowed for a slower flow through the fuge. and with the second i think that is just the basic design for alot of sumps out there. with a submersable pump. the overall main thing is that i want to achieve flow via a return manifold or by 3 or 4 holes cut in the back of the tank. i do not want any powerheads. So will external pumps give me the most flow?? or are there powerful submersable(sp?) pumps out there? keeping in mind that i want to keep SPS as well. i hope this makes sense, im trying to get this question to you guys before i go out.
Thnx in advance,
Ty

what if you had all the water drop into the skimmer section, then flow through the fuge, then get returned

this is the most common order as dustin has suggested and IMO it works great. Having the skimmer/incoming water first, then fuge then water out.

However, both your designs will work.

Well i wanted to have the water dump into the skimmer section and the fuge. I was trying to save pods but i can deal with it other ways.

or you could also take design number 2 and T the line coming from the tank and have half dropping into the skimmer section and half in to the fuge

If a pods going to get chopped up,its going to happen in the return pump anyway.Of course you could get around that too.But the fuge would have to gravity feed back into the tank.

what about the second part of the question. will the panworld50px-x give me enough flow for sps without using powerheads.

Thats a question I cant answer.But I think that even with a closed loop,you'll still need some power heads.

Nothing will give you enough flow to run powerhead free without a major closed loop, I have one, still not enough! Closed loops suck at everything, power consumption, lack of flow capabilities and they are expensive. Get yourself some NICE powerheads and save yourself a major headache.

that thought just left my head. i just might do that and say the hell with drilling those extra holes in the back of the tank, but therell still be three holes for calfo/silent and failsafe overflow

Back