Your Input Please

LearnerPlates

Reefing newb
Hello,
I have had a 350 Lt fish tank for close to two years now, i like to think that i am doing something right as i haven't had any fish die yet. I was wondering if anybody could give me some help in regards to coral and anemone care. My corals seem to be in reverse...if i look at them at night time they are open and looking great! however during the day time when i have my lights on they seem to go away. I initially thought that maybe the lights where too harsh? I will lis tall occupants of my tank and any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

All parameters are fine within my tank;
Salt is 1.021
Nitrites and Nitrates are both 0
Ammonia 0
PH is fine at around 8.2
I have tested for calcium and that is also perfect.

I have also taken my water to the LFS and they have confirmed that everything within the tank is fine too.

My setup is as follows; (WILL INCLUDE PICTURES)
I have an external filter with a built in protein skimmer which i retro fitted to my tank so it actually has two filters, the one in the tank is an average trickle type filter that sits above the water.

LIGHTING;
3 T8 halogen lights, 1 flu roe blue, 1 normal white light, and 1 extra bright white light.

AIR PUMPS;
2 water circulators
1 45cm air stone
1 return from external filter.
Livestock;
2 tiny hermit crabs
2 trochus snails
1 6cm blue tang
4 black and white oculars clown fish (one of which is getting picked on, don't really know what to do with that?)
1 3cm yellow tang
1 4cm picasso trigger fish
1 4cm hawkfish
4 damsels
1 emporor angel juvenille/adult around 5 cm (DOES NOT EAT CORAL)
1 white and orange spotted bottom feeding fish.

Corals;
2 frogspawn corals
1 orange sponge
2 golfballs
1 plate coral
1 rock that little flowers come out of? not sure what it is called
1 tree like coral that i don't know what it is called.

Anemones;
1 large carpet anemone which my clownfish host
1 medium carpet anemone that my clownfish host
4 bubble tip anemones (one of which split into two)

That is all that is in my tank. Any ideas on how to make the corals come out during the day would be appreciated, along with any other ideas on my tank, i was thinking about getting more fish but its hard to decide which ones to get.

Attachments

• Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 307
  • Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM #4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.05 PM.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.06 PM.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-12 at 7.06 PM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
I would say that you are at your limit on fish. The rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons. Your tank is about 92 gallons (350L). I would also venture to say that although it av be fine now your emperor needs a much larger tank min 220 gal (832L). The other thing you will need to look at is removing your airstone. It is really not necessary and will cause salt creep in excess.

I'm sorry to start critiquing your tank like this but I think it looks good and just needs a little tweaking!

Also WELCOME to the site!

Welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. I have to agree with kevdogg, you're over doing it with fish, and may have po4 in your tank. The lights you have aren't strong enough for corals nor the anemones. You may not see the angel fish picking at the corals, but he may be the reason why they aren't opening up during the day, and only at night when he's asleep. Also, make sure you clean the canister filters often, because they lead to nitrate issues...and I'd remove the air stone, because it causes salt creep. And lastly, your salt level should be a little higher (1.024-1.026) for corals to be comfortable, that level you have is suitable for fish, but not corals and inverts. Good luck. :)

Welcome to the site!

But I must agree with both of their assessments. Smitty's theory might be right about the nipping, too. You can't know they're not picking on the coral unless you're watching him 24/7.

I'm glad you haven't lost fish, but a couple of those will definitely need a larger tank soon. They may be surviving, but it's like a person living in a small closet. You can survive, but wouldn't be happy.

What are your parameters? Nitrates? Phosphates?

As a general rule, the large angels are not reef safe, and it is only a matter of time before they start doing damage.

I would also agree on the assessment on your stocking list - adding more fish is likely to lead to water quality issues or aggression, especially as that angel grows.

How long have you had these anemone's and corals? I don't see any anemone's lasting long term under T8 bulbs, those are mostly just for visual light, they are not really meant for sustaining photosynthetic animals

Wow thanks very much everyone for your response's. I apologise for being so slack on the reply but i couldn't find my way back to the thread! :P I bought the Angel as a baby and he has never eaten any of my corals however you may be right about the nipping i will be sure to check it out! Also my brother has a 1000 Ltr tank so he said he was more than happy to take the Angel when i am ready.

Also a big thank you in regards to the salinity levels i was unaware of that!

I forgot to mention that i have a small 15cm snowflake eel if that makes any difference.

In regards to the lighting they are T5 lights also not T8 sorry i always get confused, i have had the Corals and Anemones for around a year now and they seem to be going well because they are growing larger and come out every now and then but mostly at night so perhaps it is the salt levels.

Also what do you mean by a salt creep? I have had the airstone since i got the tank and it hasnt had any issues and besides it makes it look cool lol.

Thanks very much for your input guys its nice to meet some friendly helpful more experienced enthusiasts than me.

Hi LP,
I'm not very experienced but will welcome you and put in 2C worth.

My anenomes mostly seemto come out int he day and snuggle up at night, except my hellfire anenome who just does what he wants day/night weekend - it doesn't seem to make any difference. If the anenome is lookinh ealthy and growing i would put it down to personality LOL!

Witht he corals, I have noticed that my goniapora prefers to come out at night. I wllowed some macro to grow over it and since then it has looked happier too. I think the sunflower ones come out at night too. What sort of corals are coming out at night?

PS you talk litres - are you in OZ?
PPS salt creep is when you get salt depisits outside of and around the tank from evaporation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input :)

I have a golfball coral that grows long flower bubbles on it when it comes out but it only comes out at night. also i have a standard plate coral that seems to enjoy the night.

Yes i am from the same place as you melbourne :)

Hi LP! Your golf ball sounds like a goniapora :mrgreen:

Great to meet someone in the neighbourhood too :^:

I have found this to be the most friendly marine forum and hope you find the same.

Back