Your Lottery House

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by project5k, Jul 15, 2009.

1. project5k

project5k

so, if you were to win the lottery, and could build the house of your dreams, what would you do?

I'd quit my job and do most of the work myself, but i would hire lots of contractors to "help me"

me? I'd start out on about 50acres,
    i'd have the entire place built super energy efficient,
    massive solar system, with battery backups,
    solar water heaters,
    geothermal heating and cooling,
    in floor heating and cooling loops,
    every outlet, every light, every single thing on its own sepperate circuit and breaker,
    in wall reef tank with aquarium room behind it, drains built in so that when its water change time, all i had to do was open a valve...
    big RO/DI filter system and storage tank
    massive basement(prolly 2x or 3x the footprint of the house, with delievery ramp big enough for 18 wheelers
    fully wired for automation, cable, satelite, phone, intercom, and everything else
    elevator up to the look out tower
    full security system, complete with DVR,cameras, and web access and control
    electric remote controlled blinds and storm shutters.
    electric windows and shower doors(the kind that can be "frosted" looking or clear depending on a switch
    big swimming pool with an "observation window" viewable from the basement

I'll add more as i think of it...

project5k, Jul 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. project5k

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Shoot.My lottory house would be sittin smack dab in the middle of at least 17,000 acres of the most remote mountains I could find up in Alaska or the Yukon.Single level log home.Wouldnt need AC,just wood heat.Small landing strip for a drive way.
    And NO NEIGHBORS:D

yote, Jul 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. project5k

d2mini VIP Member

I'd take almost ANYTHING on a small island in the caribbean. Maybe the french side of St Martin, or St Barts.

Then I'd have a decent house or two somewhere in the states to escape hurricane season.

d2mini, Jul 15, 2009
  4. project5k

project5k

the location isnt nearly as important for me cause i would just be in the basement(climate controlled ofcourse) running my business, machining parts on the mills, building the next trike, or motorcycle or show truck ....

i would like to live somewhere it dosent get so bloody hot tho, i mean i've been in texas all my life(with the exception of the 14 months i did in florida) and when its soo hot outside that i cant wear my welding helmit unless its 3am, its too hot.

project5k, Jul 15, 2009
  5. project5k

Rcpilot

100 acres, located in Southwest Missouri or Southeast Kansas.

8000 square feet sounds about right. 3 bedrooms for the family. Each with it's own bathroom.

I like it when people visit, so I'd have at least 3 guest bedrooms (maybe 4), each complete with it's own bathroom.

I'd want a full UNFINISHED basement under the house with a walk out door.

4 car garage.

A 3000 square foot shop out back with 16' garage door.

Schwimmin' pool about 15,000 gallons.

2500' grass landing strip for my full scale plane and my models.

Nuthin' too fancy. I'm a simple guy. I just want SPACE. Lots and lots of SPACE. And NO NEIGHBORS. I HATE neighbors.

Rcpilot, Jul 15, 2009
  6. project5k

project5k

i've never been there so i dont know if i would like that or not

thats not a bad #, i've never actually tried to add it up to see what mine would total up to.

thats a good idea, I'm steal'n this one from you and add'n it to my list

i agree 100% unfunished

yea, maybe for her cars, but that aint gonna hold all of mine

Mine is 2400 right now, is that close enough? Our New Shop

now, just how does this compare to say an olimpic sized one, and will yours be able to be converted over to an aquarium? mine will, should i ever feel the need.

yea, ok, i'm in, sailplane for me tho.

hooraah!

and dont forget about the underground 100 yard shooting range.

project5k, Jul 15, 2009
  7. project5k

Rcpilot

i've never been there so i dont know if i would like that or not

I grew up in Kansas City. I've been wanting to move back there on a nice size piece of land and just settle down. If you get into the South part of Kansas or Missouri, it's not bad. Humid, but never too cold in the winter and you get 4 seasons. I like having 4 seasons.

thats not a bad #, i've never actually tried to add it up to see what mine would total up to.

I'd want closets and storage EVERYWHERE. One of the problems I've always had with houses we looked at is there is never enough closet space and storage. I'd want at least 1 big walk-in closet for each bedroom and a linen closet in each bathroom. Gotta have a coat room near the front entrance and a big mud room near the back door.

thats a good idea, I'm steal'n this one from you and add'n it to my list

You can't have too many bedrooms and bathrooms in a house.

i agree 100% unfunished

I've never understood why people build huge mansions and then finish the basement. If ya got the money, spread out with a big ranch or even a 2-story, but have a full unfinished basement downstairs. If you want a theater room or a bar, build it into the house, don't wreck the basement by putting up walls and speakers on every corner.

yea, maybe for her cars, but that aint gonna hold all of mine

I'm not a big car enthusiast. I would just want a truck, a car, a mini van for the family and a spot for the mower and yard equipment. Okay, maybe a 6 car garage but thats bigger than I'd ever need.

Mine is 2400 right now, is that close enough? Our New Shop

2400 square feet is enough. Just something bigger than a little 20x20 garage. I would be building a lot of very large RC planes and probably building a full scale Murphy Moose. Airplanes take up space.

now, just how does this compare to say an olimpic sized one, and will yours be able to be converted over to an aquarium? mine will, should i ever feel the need.

I'm not really sure how big that is. I know my brother-in-law has a 5000 gallon pool and it's really just a big kiddie pool. It's not over 5' deep and it's only about 25' long x 12' wide. Nothing you could swim laps in and nothing you can have a big party in. I just figured about 3x that big would suit me.

I would never convert the pool to a reef. I'd keep the reef in my house. 1000g ought to be enough for a nice reef with plenty of Acans!!

yea, ok, i'm in, sailplane for me tho.

I've always thought it would be great to make a big round runway. That way you could just land from any direction, depending on the wind that day.

I have no idea how big a circle with a diameter of 2500' is. Probably pretty darn big. Thats over 1/2 mile across.

hooraah!

and dont forget about the underground 100 yard shooting range.

Oh yeah, I did forget the range. How about an outside range of 1000yrds? About 50' wide and right down the middle of a big stand of trees. Sorta like an outdoor shooting alley. I never thought you could shoot a rifle that far. I always heard people talk about shooting 600yrds and I thought they were full of crap. Then I tried it. You REALLY can shoot a high power rifle at 600yrds and hit a pie pan size target. I was amazed when I tried it for the first time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Rcpilot, Jul 15, 2009
  8. project5k

Ted Living one day at a time

Ted, Jul 15, 2009
  9. project5k

Rcpilot

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Rcpilot, Jul 15, 2009
  10. project5k

Ted Living one day at a time

Ya that one would work also just have to figure out where my tanks would go.

Ted, Jul 15, 2009
  11. project5k

project5k

well now, i'[m gonna have my tunes, so there will be speakers, and perhaps the celing of the basement might need to be sound insulated from the rest of the house, cause i like to play it LOUD! when i worked at Disney in florida, i got a chance to work on some rane 1000W amps, and i fell in love with them.. so i'd have to have me a nice rack system, couple terabyte system for mp3's and stuff like that, probably see what i could do to come up with either some good JBL studio monitors, or maybe go oldschool 70V, or even better, go way way back and find some old pink ring cerwin vega monitors... i think a nice mix of 12's and 15's should do the job.

hmm 1000 gallon sunken into a wall with the room behind it, yea, ok, i could live with that, and not mess with the pool.. but i still want my bikini bottom viewing window.

um, 2500 is not half a mile, its just short of half, a mile is 5280 feet.

put 5 rounds in the bottom of a soda can at 1000yards, open vernier sights, and then we can talk. its not that hard(you'll notice i didnt say anything about how it was set up, what i was shooting, or how many practice shots i took, before getting thoes 5 in a row) hehehe it was an 1891 argentine mouser (my absolute favorite rifle.)

Yea and i would also want an IPSC practice range.. i gotta get back into shape...

oh and i want a paintball field too...

i could definately live in one of thoes log cabins, but i think i would reserve that for my "weekend" house, or my vacation house, cause i would want my everyday house to be ultra modern...

project5k, Jul 15, 2009
  12. project5k

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Who needs a shooting range when you got a whole mountain side?:D
    Of course a 30 target 3-D archery course would be a blast.

yote, Jul 15, 2009
  13. project5k

cthegame

id want a house with some kind of flotation device so i can live in the middle of the pacific ocean and have the worlds largest aquarium. :mrgreen:

cthegame, Jul 15, 2009
  14. project5k

project5k

but wouldnt that by defination not be an aquarium, but more of an observation deck?

project5k, Jul 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question