Your Opinion on Bulbs

Centerforce

Reefing newb
Please give me your opinion on the following two Metal Halide Bulbs
XM 400w 10k and Coralvue 400w 10k
Going to buy new bulbs to start up my reef and looking for the best out of the two

TIA

Do you plan on running VHO actinic supplements? If not then you might want to look for a 14k bulb.

I run two 250 watt 14k Double Ended Pheonix bulbs and love them. They are better than any bulb I have used in my opinion. I also run 300 watts of actinics.

Given the option to pick one of the ones you listed I would go with the XM.

Brandon

Not to confuse your choice anymore, but of the 400 watt setups I have seen that I liked, they were all very large aquaria utilixing Ushio 10,000 K lamps.

With your 10K and atinics I would go with the XM. My system uses 12+K supplemented with 6.5K and Atinic o3. Now the ushio ive heard are a bit more blue, so steven makes a good point to possibly consider that bulb also. I doubt you can go wrong with the bulbs we are talking about, and you will narrow your likes within the first couple years, just remember that what I like may not be to your liking and even if duplicated may not look exactly the same, so, in your first opinion I again prefer the XM with a higher par as Steven said. good luck, keep us posted and sorry for the late response.

Back