Your opinion on TVs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by AdeptMrSniffles, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AdeptMrSniffles

AdeptMrSniffles I have a Blue Thumb

My wife and I are about to buy some furniture from rooms to go, which is where we've gotten all of our furniture and are satisfied with the products. Anywho, the furniture set comes with a 60" LG plasma, atleast that's what they advertise. Apparently they give you a gift card, to Best Buy, for the price of the TV. So my question is: would you buy a plasma or LED TV? I've been reading so much about them lately; pros, cons, differences, etc., but thought I'd see if people have had experiences with either one. I currently have a 42" LCD that's 4yrd old. It's a great TV but I'm not about to throw away a chance to get a bigger one :). I saw a commercial for Best Buy last night for a Sharp Aquos 60" price @ $999. Anyone have that model? I'd like to get atleast a 55" and I know the larger you go the better it is to go plasma, or so I've read. My only concern is that I play Battlefield 3 on my 360 a lot and I don't want any burn in from the HUD, etc., from a plasma. Any opinions?

AdeptMrSniffles, Jan 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. AdeptMrSniffles

Northstar24 The Tang Herder

I bought mine a few years ago, and when I did, plasma still had a slight edge on similarly priced LCD models. With the new LED technology though, I'd have to say that plasma no longer has the advantage that it once did, and even higher end non LED LCD's have a pretty amazing picture now

If it were my money I'd be buying LED, but the promotion at the place you are gettng your furniture may not be flexible - you might only get to chose from a few, select models (the ones that Best Buy wants to get rid of most likely)

Northstar24, Jan 24, 2012
    AdeptMrSniffles likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. AdeptMrSniffles

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Either is fine, but I personally have been in a Samsung kick. I don't know where he's been, but try PM'ing PRC -- he installs full high-end entertainment systems for a living. He was the one who help me pick the best. Sony's not even the best anymore, unless you're getting something bigger than 50"; it's Samsung or Philips for smaller ones. I believe he's partial to plasma tv's, too...you get better quality for your buck.

wontonflip, Jan 24, 2012
  4. AdeptMrSniffles

Smitty

I'd go with the led tv over the plasma tv...plasmas are being phased out, and I read that over time, the plasma dries out and needs replacing. They aren't good long term with video games neither I've read.

Smitty, Jan 24, 2012
  5. AdeptMrSniffles

Ah ha! That's who I was trying to think of, PRC. Thx.

I called RTG and they said the gift card will buy anything in the store The gift card is set to the value of w/e TV I want. I'm partial to the LED TVs but plasmas 600hz refresh rate is hard to overlook.

AdeptMrSniffles, Jan 24, 2012
  6. AdeptMrSniffles

viperbjd

Go with the LED but remember the bigger the tv the bigger the refresh rate should be so you don't get blurred images...expectantly if you play MW3...

viperbjd, Jan 25, 2012
  7. AdeptMrSniffles

Solarfall Totally Gnar

I'm going to be the darkhorse here and say quality brand Plasmas are definitely better than LCDs in just about every important way. I spent a good year as a vendor in an electronic store and this was always a huge misconception brought up by costumers.

I won't get crazy with details but the big difference with picture quality is that LCDs are always backlit by either florescent tube lamps or the more expensive LEDs. This prevents them from getting the very deep blacks and contrast that a plasma can achieve because there's always a light behind your black screen. With a plasma, each pixil or "cell" is lit individually by ionic charges, obviously allowing much more defined and contrasted colors.

The big problems associated with older and cheaper brand plasmas are basically non-existent with a newer, quality brand unit. The image retention or "screen burn" will only happen in extreme cases and will quickly fade (the same will happen on LCDs). The lifespan for a modern Plasma is also estimated to be 15 to 20 years, compared to LCD's 20-25 years (by this time we'll be using 10th dimension fission-powered smellovisions or whatever anyway).

Also, don't be fooled by the "LED LCDs" either. The only advantage to an LED TV is that it will stay brighter longer, and we're talking about after having the florescent LCD for ten years it will get a bit duller. As we know being reefers, LEDs have a massive life span, but as far as picture quality, florescent and LED LCDs will be identical for any reasonable time frame.

In short, Plasma's have a bad rep from the crappy ones we were seeing 10 years ago, when the technology was in its infancy. Modern plasmas are awesome and superior to LCDs in every way that counts.

Solarfall, Jan 25, 2012
  8. AdeptMrSniffles

Yeah, I recall that's the same thing PRC told me when I was wondering if I really need to shell out for an LED/LCD. General professional consensus is to go w/ Plasma. But I just went with whatever was on sale LOL I love my Samsungs :D

wontonflip, Jan 25, 2012
  9. AdeptMrSniffles

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Just read Sniffles' post again and noticed the BF3 part. I know exactly what you mean where the HUD is really bright and definitely could cause screen burning, but it wouldn't happen in the time frame of a normal CQ or Rush match so that really isn't an issue. The BF3 title screen burns the hell out of my crappy room TV which is a WalMart brand LCD, but it goes away, same would happen with a plasma.

But you'll REALLY notice the difference with games. The refresh rate on Plasmas is far better than on an LCD, meaning you'll get much more responsive controls and no input latency (assuming you have a good internet connection).

Plasma all the way.

Solarfall, Jan 25, 2012
  10. AdeptMrSniffles

marcah

marcah, Jan 25, 2012
  11. AdeptMrSniffles

Thx guys. I guess I'll lean more towards the plasma. However, is the glare THAT noticeable. My living room gets good natural light that I can control but I'd rather not have to close the blinds whenever I want to watch TV.

AdeptMrSniffles, Jan 25, 2012
  12. AdeptMrSniffles

marcah

I have heard about the glare also.. I have a big bow window in the living room and never really had any problems with glare of course there was always curtains but between that and the skylight there is alot of light getting in..

marcah, Jan 25, 2012
  13. AdeptMrSniffles

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Glare is definitely a factor, but I wouldn't call it a decision maker.
    Plasmas usually have a glossier finish with some sort of glare reduction.

My living room TV is a 46" Panasonic plasma and I have huge bay windows almost right across from the TV. It's really only an issue for about one hour in the day because of where the sun is in relation to the windows. A little after noon I get a pretty nasty glare, but I would probably have the same problem on an LCD.

Solarfall, Jan 25, 2012
  14. AdeptMrSniffles

Awesome! Thx again guys. The next question I have to ask MYSELF is... do I really need a TV that's the same size as the wall it'll go on??...OOOOH YA! :mrgreen:

15. AdeptMrSniffles

Solarfall Totally Gnar

Do I really have to answer this question?

YES! :D

Solarfall, Jan 25, 2012
  16. AdeptMrSniffles

marcah

Superbowl Sunday is coming what better excuse could you have to grab it...

Go Giants...:Cheers:

marcah, Jan 25, 2012
  17. AdeptMrSniffles

Don't forget a sound system!!!! These TVs nowadays have crappy sound ;) We have an Onkyo in the basement, but just an el cheapo half broken speaker in the kitchen, but at least it sounds better than the built in speakers :D

wontonflip, Jan 25, 2012
  18. AdeptMrSniffles

Ya, I have an out of the box Sony 5.1 that gets the job done. Sound system is next on my list though. My wife isn't too crazy about having a better system so it'll be fun getting it by her, she HATES the volume and bass being loud even on movies!!

19. AdeptMrSniffles

Yeah, but tell her with the new TVs' sound is awful. I'm not one of those who cares for quality sound, but they are necessary with new tvs. You have to turn the tv up all the way just to hear everything.

wontonflip, Jan 25, 2012
  20. AdeptMrSniffles

bjohanson1234 .........

Thats cuz the speakers are getting smaller and smaller as the TVs are getting thinner and thinner.

bjohanson1234, Jan 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question