your thoughts on this LED

marcah

Reef enthusiast
I have been talking to this guy about building me some LED lighting. he uses 3 watt cree and both the blues and whites are independantly dimmable. He could do it in one 68 inch section or three 20 inch sections. would be 32 leds each section or 96 leds for the 68 inch.. think that would be enough for my 150? I was looking at the AI and they use 75 for the same size.. any thoughts?
http://www.fin-sanity.com/

Last edited:
do it!!!! thats the lfs i always go to! his name is phil and hes building me leds right now. his stuff is quality, and he uses his own lights over most of his frag tanks.

If you're going the route of custom DIY led fixtures, I would see if the person making them could add a few UV LED's to the mix. There are some people that believe that the color in some corals sort of 'washes out' due to a lack of the UV spectrum

thanks guys , and nano I will let you know if I need anything.. I knew I had seen that someone uses him for a shop.. I also had heard that UV LED's are needed in the mix, will look into that a little more before jumping into it.. thanks again..

IMO i would stick with t5's. LED's are good for saving money on the electric bill. But what happens if you don't like the color spectrum that your led's put out or they start going out. With t5's you can change the lighting spectrum by switching out bulbs in a certain order or ordering bulbs for what colors you like. I would do some research and pick the best light that is suited for you and what you want in your tank. Best Of luck too you!

IMO i would stick with t5's. LED's are good for saving money on the electric bill. But what happens if you don't like the color spectrum that your led's put out or they start going out. With t5's you can change the lighting spectrum by switching out bulbs in a certain order or ordering bulbs for what colors you like. I would do some research and pick the best light that is suited for you and what you want in your tank. Best Of luck too you!

Or you get an LED fixture that lets you change the color spectrum, most of the middle and higher end LED fixtures let you do this

I decided I didnt know enough about the company or knew anyone that had gotten one form him so opted against it for now, will wait until I hear someone that has one or buy one I know has a reputation..

I decided I didnt know enough about the company or knew anyone that had gotten one form him so opted against it for now, will wait until I hear someone that has one or buy one I know has a reputation..

Hmm, my thoughts exactly...

marcar im getting them in like a month and a half, i already told alex if you guys would like i could take a vid of their leds in action on their display tank at finsanity.

marcar im getting them in like a month and a half, i already told alex if you guys would like i could take a vid of their leds in action on their display tank at finsanity.

It would be better if you told us your opinion of them since it's really hard to get the color of the lights with a camera.

Back