"Z" 's tank tour

I have to upgrade my lighting before I introduce more species. Some sps's, montipora, a clam and a bubble tip are on my wish list.

Last edited:
Does your light fixtures have IR's on them? Of so, you really shouldn't need to upgrade your lights. You could keep the sps's on the top level of the rocks.

Unfortunately, no reflectors. I just replaced my VHO bulbs as a "Bandaid" until I could make a decison about replacing my lighting. I bought this tank used since this is my 1st venture with salt, The lighting was shotty at best, So, without investing a lot of money, I used some t5 fixtures from home depot, bought a new balast for the vho's, put it all together and called it lighting. But seriously, the vho's are inificient and don't last, so is it really worth purchasing reflectors long term?

Just noticed that those t5's are only 28 watts? Those are not high output bulbs so even with reflectors, there will most likely not be enough light.

48" t5HO are 54 watts. t5NO(normal output) are 28 watts. You will most likely need to swap out the ballasts that run the t5s in order to run the HO bulbs.

Right. The balasts are built into the fixture. So, I need to start from scratch. It looks like Im better off price wise to buy a fixture instead of building one.

Back