zero algae growth in new aquarium is this ok?

JeremyEck

Reefing newb
I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have had my tank set up and cycling with live rock and live sand for a little over three weeks now and i do not have any algae growth at all.. Is this normal? Is this ok? Do i need algae growth in order to purchase a clean up crew or can i supplement them with other foods? If i need algae in the aquarium what do i do to promote its growth? Thanks for all the help in advance.

If i were to throw in some of the algae wafers i use in my freshwater tank for my pleco would that help anything? If so how many? If not what can i do to get some algae growth going?

I don't know about the algae wafers, but some will use a raw shrimp to kick off the cycle and let it rot so the CUC will have something to clean when added.

i was just talking to the guy i plan to buy the cuc from and he says no algae is fine and that i can just supplement there food once i get the cuc until they have a sufficient natural food source

You are saying that you never got brown or green diatoms during the cycle?The only way that could be possible is if you cycled without lights.If that is the case then some small algae bloom will come in time.I would only add algae grazers if there is something for them to feed on without supplementing.

Back