Zoa? Ever going to grow?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
zoa.jpg

Had this for a while now and it shows no growth. Doesn't look dead, but there is some Coraline starting to grow around the edges. Does it need more or less light? Shorter or longer lighting times? Better water?

I know you would like lighting parameters, but I have no idea how to define them. I have a stunner strip (blue and white) and a dual bulb t5 set up. It is about 12" deep and about 15" from the t5s. 20" from the LEDs. It gets about 9 hours a day light time.

Water is Very clean by all standards. 79.4*, 8.2pH, NH3/NH4 0.0, NO2 0.0, NO3- 0.0 and PO3/4 is .25. Minimal CUC and small fish. What else, easy wise, can I add for a coral?

+1 yeah be a Favia they take some time

Favia coral requires special lighting because it is usually found about 25 to 30 feet below the waters surface. Because of this it is accustomed to blue light rather than high intensity of light. When you add favia coral to your aquarium you should take caution to keep it from being exposed to too much light.

on feeding one method that works well is to use a powdered food at night on a weekly basis so that the favia coral can grow and prosper. It is easy to find these types of foods for favia coral.(reefcleaners has one that's really good) If the powdered food does not appear to be sufficiently fine then you need to grind it up a bit. Then, add some water to it and stir it up well so there are no clumps. Once the food is dissolved in the water simply add it to the aquarium water slowly and across the top. This will allow the favia coral to get the food it needs.

Hopefuly this will help you keep your Favia happy :D

Ummmmm, that is not a zoa! That is a Favia, an LPS, and will grow out.

WHAT!!!!????? @#$%@%@$@$%@$@$@$ LFS!!! :grumble: So this should be deeper and not getting as much light? (I have LOTS of blue light) I have a 12" stunner on the RH side of the tank that is solid blue and not running right now. Should I turn it on and move this to that side?

Can you give me a brand name for the food? I rerfuse to let something I put in my tank die without a fight. Even if I was stupid AND lied to!

Okay, so what does a Zoa, a real one, look like? I thought I looked this up before but I guess I am stupid.

At night, you should see lots of feeder tentacles coming out from the center of each of the favia eyes. Once a week I feed mine reef chili by squriting a bit of it over the tentacles. The food sticks to them and they pull it in. I have seen a bit of growth with mine, but is is very, very slow.

Back