Zoa lighting requirements/likes

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
For Zoas, what light do they seem to respond better to, the white or the Acton? Both equally? I'm asking because I can adjust each separately and am wondering what seems to work the best to grow them.

Speaking of Zoas like I am, I noticed several heads (?) blowing around the bottom of the tank. This can't be good, but exactly what does it mean? Is the colony doomed? Am I frying them with the new lights and they are looking for better surroundings? Is some other critter bugging them?

It is my understanding that it is the daylight white light (15000K and up) that are the primary energy source for the zooxanthellae that in turn feed corals.
The actinics and other non-white spectrums provide some additional "flavor" but are mostly for aesthetic appeal to counter the washed out colors due to the daylights.

Zoa's can bail out of their colony for several reasons. Most commonly it is due to stress and the polyps leave the colony in an attempt to find a more suitable location.

+2 Rockstacker. Daylights are most important for coral growth, but because they make everything look ugly and brown, lighting is supplemented with actinics.

So hitting them with bright blue isn't going to hurt is it? The colours really jump out!

Fwiw, I'm ramping up my new LEDs and have never had lights as powerful over my tank. Don't want to do any damage. I'm at about 40% right now and things are looking good. I might be at 45% on the actinics. My second unit is due in any day now.

With my LED fixtures I ran them at 25% the first week then moved up to 40% after that.
I am still undecided if I should ramp up any higher than that this soon.
For my tank 40% seems plenty bright already.

Not sure there is a formula for LEDs yet. I did get my second unit and have both set at around 40%. I can't see turning them up much more.

i also heard daylight white lights are the best. i currently run a 150 metal halide.

i think i may go to using led's with mostly whites and some blues.

Back