zoanthid growth?

greg1186

Reefing newb
i have a green zoanthid frag with approx 15-20 polyps.. i think it is growing/ noticing more polyps... can someone explain to me the reproduction/growing process of zoanthids... thanks!

For the most part you don't feed zoanthids.(however you can feed some palys) Under the right conditions they grow on their own getting what they need to grow from the water column and your lights. Zoanthid polyps don't so much grow as they spread across the rock.

I would have to agree with PRC. Zoos spread out quicker than there stocks. I blue zoos, barby, purple deaths, and others as well. They will grow out quicker than getting bigger. Light is important matter. Since I lowered my lighting alll my coral has grown in one form or another.

If you notice under the zoas, there is a mat of flesh. The reproduce by spreading this mat, and new polyps pop up along the sides of the old ones. Some corals reproduce by splitting off existing polyps; zoanthids don't work this way. Entire new ones grow up out of the mat.

If you notice under the zoas, there is a mat of flesh. The reproduce by spreading this mat, and new polyps pop up along the sides of the old ones. Some corals reproduce by splitting off existing polyps; zoanthids don't work this way. Entire new ones grow up out of the mat.
Awesome biff. Hey you know any learning sites to go on for aquiriums, reefs, fish, good ones

Back