Zoanthid gunk

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
So this morning I was doing some tank maintenance and removing some anthelia that's grown out of control. They came off the LR pretty easily with some gently pulling with tweezers. I then decided to try my hand at removing some overgrown zoanthids that I hate. When I tried to pull them off they seem to pop and release this brown colored liquid cloud into the water. Was that their toxin? Will that do anything do harm any livestock in my tank? It was only 4 or 5 polyps that did it and I decided to stop.

Also, any suggestions on how to remove them better? They seem to be stuck on the LR rather good. The anthelia was easy to remove and get started peeling off.

That was their guts, if you leave them be they might recover. Read the fragging zoas sticky, you might have to dig out a little piece of LR underneath them.

+1 Ryan and Reef

Take a sharp razor blade and try to under the foot of the polyp.Then it should come off the rock without causing to much trouble.

I wasn't too worried about getting that toxin in my eye as the zoo's were about 8" under water. Do you think I should wear gloves even if I'm doing the cutting under water? I'm also not worried about damaging them. I'm just going to throw them away once it get them out. They're too overgrown and getting out of control. Also, the rock they're growing on is too large to remove and scrape...it's about a 17lb chunk.

Yeah,I'd be wearing gloves and have them taped around my wrists so no water could get in.
All it takes is a tiny bit of that polytoxin to get into a cut and your in trouble.

I always were gloves in my tank, regardless of whether or not I'm messing with zoas or not, there's just so much stuff to hurt you...

+1 yote about the razor

Palytoxin is nasty stuff...I've heard stories from people getting a single drop on the skin of their finger and they had to go to the hospital. The worst part about it is that none of the doctors know what to do.

Back