Zoanthid Toxin Question

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I am planning to glue some of the zoa frags I got last week into their permanent locations today and want to make sure I don't poison myself in the process! (1) Do I need to wear gloves while moving them around in my tank and positioning/gluing them? The only gloves I have are the really thick rubber ones and I'm afraid I might accidentally injure the coral in the process of trying to handle it with those! (some of the frags are super small) (2) If the zoa does squirt toxin in my tank will the toxin harm my fish/inverts/coral? I know zoas are very toxic to humans, but haven't read one way or the other if they will wipe out a tank if they release their toxin.

Thanks!!

I would go out and get a pack of gloves for handling your corals anyway, it's only a few bucks for peace of mind. I'm not sure if you're better off with thicker ones or if you can just go with latex/nitrile

I have no idea if the toxin will do anything to the fish or corals.

Just dont eat the zoas, wear glasses, or mess with them if you have a open wound.

Seriously, just use your common sense. I think people get way too worried about this.

Back