Zoanthids not opening

Shishimon

Reefing newb
Hey guys I've got a colony of zoanthids that have been closed for 4-5 days. Next to them is another colony that is still fully open. I have tried moving them to the sand bed in a lower flow area. I did get a response 90% have peeked out a little. I also did a 5 min dip in RODI to see if anything could be irritating them. I did notice a small bristle worm fall off after the quick rise. Could these be the problem.? Any ideals?

I haven't found anything like that on them. I did find some brown snail looking shells on them. I think best bet is to dip them in a coral dip. Would moving them off the sandbed help with anything aggravating them?

I am starting to believe I have flat worms. I was told what was living on my glass was pods. After seeing a picture and compairing I believe that's what my problem is.

If you have flatworms, you should treat with Flatworm Exit, which is a reef safe treatment. Be sure to be ready to do a water change after the treatment and if you can, run carbon afterwards. The flatworms release a toxin when they die, so it's important that you net the bodies out as they die and clean the water when you're done. I don't think the flatworms are what's bothering the zoas, though. I do think doing a dip can help them (it won't hurt). I would still leave them on the bottom, though. When a coral is sick, increasing the lighting (moving them higher up) can harm them.

O.K. I do alot of Zoas. Here is what works best for me. It's pretty much fool proof :

Take them and put them under no to very little light. They will open with in a few days. The get an alage on them that you can not always see. Also a little extra flow does not hurt. SRC

Back