Zoanthids problems

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
Hi been a few days since my Zoanthids will not open enitrely.
I don't have any other problems with other corals in my tank.
How can i fix them? If there is any problem with them?

Potential causes to this i can think off would be;

1) two weeks ago i've treated my tank with Red Slime Removal medicine. Since then i am running activated carbon and i have performed 25% water change. Brown algae and cyano gone,sea weed is also going off. But also brittleworms are not coming on rocks in the night time as before.
2) Could be strong lighting? I have 4 T8 48 inch = 160 watt. Two actinic Blue 560 spectrum, one day light 50/50 6500k, one full day light 10000k. They are sitting on a rock a bit over the half water column.
3) a protein skimmer that produces tiny bobbles. This was also happening before without any noticeable effects.
4) i've removed the wave maker pump which was blowing on them, but they do still have light to moderate current.
5) In the night i am running some actinic blue led and a fascicule stays on them al night long.
6) Before i was using Kent marine salt now i am using Instant Ocean
7) an anemone sitting next to them?, she was closer before also

Water parameters;

1) temperature day 80 F night 78
2) 350 before, increased to -400-450 few days ago calcium
3) Ro water mixed with Instant ocean
4) 0 Nitrates or nitrides, 0 ammonia, some minor phosphates
5) water salinity 1.025, never lower than 1.024 or bigger than 1.026

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
more than likely the nem stung them. you nave no were near to much light for them. my best guess is the nem that is why many people will not have a nem in a reef tank because they can kill anything they touch

I vote the anemone also. It looks way too close in the posted picture. Hopefully they will recover, but they are not very strong when it comes to other corals stinging them.

Anemones are an extra bad neighbor. They will kill pretty much anything they touch.

I recommend doing a freshwater dip on the zoanthids as well. You may have a coral predator in your tank, and they are very hard to see. Zoanthid predators usually look like little spiders or snails.

Keep in mind no coral should touch each other they will all sting each other, thats how they compete for placing in the ocean the strongest will allways win, by killing its neighbor or causing them to move.

As mentioned anemones are one of the most potent (especially because they can move)

I would also check for predators around the rock your zoas are on. Unsure about the freshwater dip as biff mention (I have never tried this, makes me to nervous) I have done an iodine dip which would also kill any predators. As biff mentioned the spiders or snails, there is also a worm and nudibranch that eats zoas.

ok I’ve just remembered and not included in my list the zebra turbo snails that always seems to poke around these corals. I have had two today on them.

BTW regarding anemones; look what i found
This is really weird;
In my anemone's case was viceversa, the crab was a poor short legged hemmit and she was very scare and retracted by him, in fact my anemone is such of puss.. that in the night time she is scared by brittle worms and she is retracting her tentacles also. Interesting she is now PINK, before was white. The mouth is phosphorescentic green. When retracts all tentacles are green bluish.

Here is the link to something unexpected;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctqvqES1PE8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctqvqES1PE8[/ame]

Ok so i ook out these corals. What i have seen on their hard base was a small worm star who is sitting somewhere there but i can't take him out. There are also some small moving creatures as daphnia.
On the center there is some red hard thing (maybe coralline?)
Could the star worm have cause all these issues?
Hw can i take him out?
I don't have Iodine. Is the freshwater a good option?

Freshwater dipping is fine. Use RODI or distilled water.

1. Use a small container and fill it 3/4 way up with freshwater at 80F and a PH of 8.2

2. Now add the corals and be sure to fully submerge them for 5 minutes.

3. If you see any critters remove them right away.

4. After 5 minutes shake the piece vigorously to remove any hitchhikers.

5. Then remove the piece from the container and inspect it with for any nudibranchs, snails, crabs, or other critter you don't want.

6. Re-dip it if you still see things on it.

It's important that the water be at the same temperature and pH as your tank (or close to it).

Last edited:
Thank you so much Bifferwine
I did it.
Lots of small creatures came out. Here's a pic.
I am not sure what to do with this star worm.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 268
I guess i should do about the same thing, cause the more i look at my zoas, the fewer of them i think that there are...

hmmm

Back