Zoas closed up

Big K

Reefing newb
Hello fellow Wet-Arms!

I was just going to see if anyone could help me out with my Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas that aren't opening up. it's only a certain area of the colony (on top) and they haven't opened (that I've seen) in a week or two.

A few pics:

Could it be the favia above it?

Marines_Wife, Yeah I tested Saturday and everything was golden (pretty mature tank) and other colonies seem happy.

Marinne13, yeah, mine have been temperamental at times, but these specific polyps have been closed up tight for two weeks.

That could be a real possibility that something you dont see is bothering them. When I looked at mine when they did this I found a ridiculously tiny nudi on them.

Dunno. There was a spaghetti worm in the middle of the area that had arms across the polyps but I got it out with a toothbrush a week or so ago. I was thinking the favia mounted above them might have sweepers bothering them, but it's been there for a fair bit with no issue before this.

I dont know if you can, but I literally had to take mine out of the tank to look and see. It was a tiny brown nudi I found on them and I never would have seen it otherwise.

Yeah, this is on a main base rock. No way to remove it. It is close to the top though, I may be able to drain the system enough to get at it.

I've been thinking of getting a piece of plastic propped between the Favia and the Zoas to block any tendrils just to rule them out.

The nudi is a possibility but I wouldn't think it would discriminate against the other zoas. My favia can extend some freakishly long sweepers but that appears to be a pretty good distance in your pic.

Have you changed your flow in that area recently?

They have given you some good ideas so hopefully that will fix the problem.

LOL I haven't seen Slurms McKenzie near them.

So last night I went to baste and brush off the area again and noticed a Majano anemone poking out amidst the closed polyps! It wasn't very far above them and is very similarly colored (I hate to even kill them they're so pretty!) so I had missed it. After putting the Aptasia X to it last night, this morning they are open just a tiny bit!

When I first bought this set-up the guy had a whole colony of them and we just thought they were another coral. Now I have to kill them off every month or so.

Back