Zoas, growth speed?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
How fast do Zoas typically grow? I have had mine for about two weeks and would have expected to see some spreading by now. No much but at least a sign that they are growing. I wouldn't expect that they would have over grown the plug yet, but I don't see any signs at all. They get good flow, but aren't getting blow away. Water quality is very good and they get a combination of LED and t5 lights for at least 8 hours a day. Sometimes longer with the t5's. They don't look dead either.

It can take a while depending on the type. I have some zoas in my tank for over a year, and really dont look much different than when I added them. Others are growing fast and covering a good portion of the rock that I glued them to.

You can typically expect to see new growth about a head a month. Zoas like more nutrient rich water as well, so if your tank is super clean that will work against the growth some.

I feel that my zoas have a period of not growing too much when you first put them in, but within a few months, they just take off and grow like crazy.

After they are in your tank for a few weeks to a month they will start to grow faster. Mine grow pretty rapidly. Prlly 2 or 3 polyps a month. Some grow faster or slower than others as well.

After they are in your tank for a few weeks to a month they will start to grow faster. Mine grow pretty rapidly. Prlly 2 or 3 polyps a month. Some grow faster or slower than others as well.
:shock: You're doing great then. Hell, my SPS grow faster than my zoas.

I got my zoa's and they were about 15-20 heads. they didn't do anything for a month or two and then over the past 3 months they have gone crazy and i have nearly 35-40 heads on one rock and they started sprouting on a near by rock, started with 1 and now there's 4 with in a month.

Back