Zoas placement

LBFish

Reefing newb
Ok, so I get these really cool frags from various places and I love them. The problem is that there is limited space where I can place them on my rocks because of the frags plugs that these things come on.

Is there a way I can safely remove them from the plugs and glue them to the rocks? It would like a lot nicer and allow me to get more :)

If I can, what are the risks and how would I go about removing them from the plugs and glueing them to my LR?

Thanks much!

There isn't an easy way. You can take a razor blade and cut them off as close to the plug as possible, but you risk injuring them. You are better off just buying some epoxy putty and gluing the plugs to the rock. In no time, the zoas will have spread out to cover the plug and you won't be able to see it anymore.

The other thing you can do is break or cut off the the bottom part of the plug and the just glue the disk part to your rock. I have done this and it has worked for me.

What are the plugs made out of? Plastic or cement/rock? If rock, I would try a hammer and a chissel. Just be carefull to not smash the frag. If it is plastic, try a hack or dremel tool to gently cut the bottom of the plug off.
Mind you I have never done this so it is just a suggestion and not recomendation

What I do is just use one of those PVC cutting tools and cut halfway through the disk part of the plug. This way you get one big clean cut instead of having to use something like a razor or dremel and risk slipping and slicing your coral in half.

You just have to be REALLy careful to make sure you set the blade part in properly when you start cutting or you'll have a problem.

I've used a dremel to cut the peg part off of frag plugs.Quick,simple,and easy.
Or you can just wedge the plug in between 2 rocks and the frag cover both.

Back