Zoas split?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Noticed the past few days that it looks like one of my zoas is breaking apart from the larger piece. Is this normal? Should I just snip it apart and move the smaller piece? This was one whole piece but this section looks to be falling off from it. They are closed in this picture cause I believe it was disturbed shortly before taking the pic. It doesn't look like it's dying.

IMG_0325.jpg

If you are careful, it is doable. The poison is in the polyps themselves, not the mat that connects them. Take a razor blade or an exacto knife to the mat.
As long as you are careful (and I would also recommend gloves) there is nothing to be afraid of.

gloves are important but so eye protection and keeping your nose and mouth covered.many people wear a clear face shield like for grinding metal.But palys is were the real poisons are .eg palyotoxin

Seriously, the chances of this happening you are one in a million. Just dont eat your zoas.

Also, not all are toxic, just a few varieties.

Please, this is silly to be panicking about this. Just use your head, you will be fine

Zoas are deadly.

Yes, yes they are. If you mishandle the few variety that are dangerous. So if you just use your head around all zoas, you will be fine.

Why are we panicking about this? We could also be hit by a meteor and die, but we dont panic about because the chances are slim to none of it actually happening. It has happened, it will for sure happen again, but we dont worry about.

Dont panic about your zoas, just dont mishandle them. Its pretty simple.

Ok, that zoa has totally split except for one single strand of... whatever it is that holds it together. Can I just snip this and then just put one where I want it or should I wait for it to just naturally break (not sure it will) and separate after?

IMG_0328.jpg

I eat zoas for breakfast....just take an exacto or razor blade and cut inbetween the polyps, you may see some gray fluid come out, they are defending themselves, just dont get it in any cuts, or eat it. You'll be fine, if not, we can help you with that too...j/k.

Back