Zodiac Change?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by KarenJax, Jan 14, 2011.

1. KarenJax

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

Found this:
    Oh no, it’s Ophiuchus*again!
    January 13, 2011 @ 9:39 pm › return2thesource
    ↓ Skip to comments

It all started for me today with a facebook email from a client about this link. He wanted to know if what the link was saying is true, if Ophiuchus was the supposed 13th sign of the zodiac as said by an astronomer. *It’s pronounced O-fee-a-kus. First, let me say. There are still only 12 signs of the Zodiac.

Here’s what’s true:

Ophiuchus is a recognized constellation and has been seen as such for thousands of years. Not just since 2009 as some people are reporting. Go here (a link to book online)*and do a search on your browser for “Ophiuchus.” *This a book written by Ptolemy called Tetrabiblos and it was written in the 2nd century AD. Again, this isn’t new.
    Most sidereal astrologers see Zodiac with 12 signs, not 13. Sidereal astrology is explained here.
    Ophiuchus has been slowly appearing along the apparent path of the Sun (also known as the ecliptic) for the same amount of time. *But this does not make it a recognized sign of the Zodiac and very few astrologers do.
    We work with a 12 month system because it is a neat way to divide up the year in roughly 30 day allotments. *13 months like 13 signs won’t work if we’re only tracking the Sun’s movement. *That’s why no one really uses it.
    Astronomers who are against astrology use the Ophiuchus constellation as a challenge about how astrology works. I also think that it’s interesting that this link “premieres” on the 13th day of January. Sounds like marketing for a blog to me. *Many other astronomers have had websites to say some of the same thing as the link above. Interestingly, *it seems that every few years, people freak out about Ophiuchus. *Last time, it was craziness on MySpace.com.
    Here are some other websites to learn more about the Serpent Bearer known as Ophiuchus as seen by astrologers:

Basic info on Ophiuchus

More advanced info on Ophiuchus

You are still whatever you thought you were.

Categories: astrology
    Tags: #newzodiac, Ophiuchus, Zodiac

KarenJax, Jan 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. KarenJax

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

Or crochet :mrgreen:

KarenJax, Jan 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. KarenJax

AdeptMrSniffles I have a Blue Thumb

LMAO!! sucks for all of those who had their zodiac signs tattooed on them, I guess they can tattoo "past" next to their original one and "present" next to their new one.

AdeptMrSniffles, Jan 14, 2011
  4. KarenJax

cthegame

5. KarenJax

rdahlke1105 I'm a girl.

Ok here is what the new zodiac sign's symbol.

The thirteenth sign was named Ophiuchus – translated to Serpent Man, snake holder or Serpentarius. The sign is represented by a man grabbing a large snake in both of his hands and was located between Scorpio and Sagittarius.

rdahlke1105, Jan 14, 2011
  6. KarenJax

d2mini VIP Member

This right here is proof that all that astrological sign mumbo jumbo is just a bunch of malarky.

And btw, I'm STILL a Leo. Na-na-na-na-nahhhhh :mrgreen:

d2mini, Jan 14, 2011
  7. KarenJax

d2mini VIP Member

It's like they KNOW me! :shock:

d2mini, Jan 14, 2011
  8. KarenJax

rdahlke1105 I'm a girl.

I personally don't believe any it. Its fun if you view it as entertainment.

9. KarenJax

Bifferwine I am a girl

+1. :)

Bifferwine, Jan 14, 2011
  10. KarenJax

Aquatic

Well, goes to show that people with their zodiac signs tattooed on them are going to be pissed. I was Libra. Now i'm a Virgo! I didn't like how people had cool looking signs and mine was a scale, lol.

Aquatic, Jan 14, 2011
  11. KarenJax

rdahlke1105 I'm a girl.

Another good reason why you don't put something on your body that is permanent unless you have wanted it for several years. :) Personally I do have a tat of a dolphin, but I wanted to get it for about 10 years before I did it.

12. KarenJax

Bifferwine I am a girl

You mean like the name of the guy you are dating? When you have known him for less than two months? On your left boob? About 4 inches across? :mrgreen:

Yeah, I did that. :rofl:

Bifferwine, Jan 14, 2011
  13. KarenJax

rdahlke1105 I'm a girl.

:lol: Biff. Personally I have mine in a spot that no one is going to know about it unless I want them to.

14. KarenJax

Ogaawd

Matbe this belongs in the Hate thread

F
    rom approximately 247 to 266 degrees of the Ecliptic (the center of the plane of the Zodiac Belt) measured from the current point of the vernal equinox (as of 2000 A.D.) and clearly in that space of it popularly thought to be occupied by Scorpio the Scorpion is a newcomer to the Belt of the Zodiac, but only inasmuch as it has lain all this time unempowered and unknown as a zodiac constellation. Taking up approximately 19 degrees worth of the Ecliptic is Ophiuchus, The Serpent Holder (from the Greek ofis "snake," and echein "have hold"). Ophiuchus the Serpent Holder is and always has been the 13th constellation on the zodiac belt, but apparently nobody has ever initiated his sign as a member of the Zodiac, possibly because then there wouldn't have been a convenient one constellation for each of the twelve months of the calendar year.

P
    ersonally, I think that's a pretty poor reason for leaving someone standing on the outside looking in -- especially in light of the mythology surrounding Ophiuchus. Ophiuchus, in Greek mythology, was Aesclepius, Master Architect, Healer, and God of Wisdom. Earth is a planet in trouble. Ophiuchus is the only constellation in the sky which is patterned after a real person in human history, tracing back through time and space for its roots to an Ancient Egyptian mortal-made-god named Imhotep, whose life and times in or about the 27th Century B.C. were honored by both the Egyptians and Greeks some 2500 years after his death as not only a great man, but as a god who owed his great powers to the knowledge of medicine which he possessed, and who brought the art of healing to mankind.

Ogaawd, Jan 14, 2011
  15. KarenJax

Smitty

I read about this earlier online...I've turned into a leo from a virgo., which probably explains the reason why I have a tattoo of a lion on my chest and not a virgin. But I hate to be the bearer of bad news, or good news for others, but, this new zodiac sign line-up is only for the people born after 2007.

Smitty, Jan 14, 2011
  16. KarenJax

cthegame

"Well, strike that, you don't get to switch your sign. At least reader StarJack says so: "The stars are markers that drift, but our main points of reference are not directly the stars. They are the equinoxes (both spring and vernal) and the solstices which altogether make the four cardinal points of the zodiac which in turn determine the signs. The stars help us locate those points which define the SIGNS of the Zodiac which remain constant in relation to the equinox point. The CONSTELLATIONS do move about and we take that into consideration when locating planets."

cthegame, Jan 14, 2011
  17. KarenJax

dcantucson

I'm so confused. Is it, are we, changing our signs or not? What's the official word?

Oh and Biff. Really the left boob? :shock: What were you thinking?

dcantucson, Jan 14, 2011
  18. KarenJax

bjohanson1234 .........

Better than across the knuckles:mrgreen:

bjohanson1234, Jan 14, 2011
  19. KarenJax

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

I'm calling bullshit. I ain't changing signs for some half wit star gazed. Always have been, and always will be a Pieces!

fastrd400, Jan 14, 2011
  20. KarenJax

tankedchemist

Screw that! I'm not changing my tattoo, I like it

I'm not pissed. I'll just ignore their opinion and continue about my business :mrgreen:

ain't that the truth... :grumble: :mrgreen:

tankedchemist, Jan 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question