zoo vs phyto

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Any general standard of what corals get fed zoo vs phyto food?

I'm getting some cyclopeeze but I have some old phytoplankton supplement - not sure if any of my corals will even benefit from that.

Also, can palys digest mysis/brine shrimp? They seem to take it, but I don't know if it's doing anything for them.

Generally,stuff that filter feed like clams,feather dusters and stuff like that,enjoy the Phyto.Its also good for the pods which feed on Phyto.
Corals that have the feeding response like Palys,some zoas,acros,feed on Zooplankton.Some like the smaller zooplankton will others like the larger stuff.
The mysis is good for your palys.It'll help them spread faster.

I think that frozen cyclopeeze bars are the best. There's also a freeze dried food called Reef Chili and everyone I have met that uses that has sworn by it (I've never tried it myself).

So I just fed the corals some of the cyclopeeze; that stuff is awesome! It was easy to feed, looked just the right size, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. When it fell on some of the zoas, they closed up, so hopefully they were chowing down.

A ton of other critters came out that I normally don't see during the daytime. I saw the fattest bristle worm yet in my tank, was a good half-inch wide and about 6" long!!

I wasn't as impressed with the reef snow; the suspended solids are really too small to see, so it's hard to gauge whether it's getting to the corals or not.

Lastly, my fish loved the blood worms! The tomato clown especially went crazy going after them....nutrition wise, how do they stack up to mysis?

Biff, how much cyclopeeze do you feed and how often?

It's kinda hard to say how much... I stick one end of the freezer bar into a cup of tank water until the water is red and speckled. Then I put the freezer bar back into the freezer. I usually feed cyclopeeze every time I feed my fish (their cubes of food are thawed in the same cup). So about twice a week. I think it's better to target feed the corals the cyclopeeze, as it can create a lot of waste if you just dump it in the tank and the corals might not get enough of it.

I target fed them but had a good amount left over, so next time I'll have to reduce it down. I probably should be feeding my fish less...I feed twice/day!

Back