Zoos and shrooms out of tank???

squibley2

Reefing newb
I am going to be moving my LR and the corals from my current 20G to my new 60G in the next week. I just have to get the new lights set up on the new tank first. I have been unable to trap the mantis shrimp in the current tank and was going to take the rock out and lay it on a tarp or something similar to get the mantis shrimp out before the rock goes into the new tank. There are zoos and shrooms on the rock. I don't think they will have a problem as long as they don't get to cold or dry as long as I keep them wet with tank water does anyone think they will have a major problem with being out of water for about 10 mins or so, so I can get rid of the mantis?

I have heard that if you put the rock with the mantis in freshwater it will come out of it's hole very quickly. I doubt a freshwater dip would hurt most shrooms or zoas. I will be interested how it works out for you. I have a mantis living in a piece of my rock that I need to get out. That is what I was planning to do. Just not until I build my new stand. Good luck and watch out for the little thumb splitter!!

I agree with newbie. You can do that or go the opposite direction and do a high salinity dip. Either method should prove effective. I really doubt leaving the rock out of water would work. If you think about how most places ship live rock. It has little to no water in the boxes and the little critters are still there long after all other plants and corals have died off. Just my opinion. Let us know what you do and if it works.

Are you trying to save the little bugger? If not find the hole he goes in and take a shishkabob stick and make him a shishkabob. or a drill and drill bit work nicely. Otherwise a freshwater dip would work. I dont think the mantis will care if you try the air method.

Back