Zoo's are tough little buggers

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
I received a shipment from a fellow reefer who lives about 5 hours away from me tonight.

It contained a very cool zoo colony. (unfortunately just before I bought them...the rock cracked so its now 2 small colonies)

But....

It arrives and one of the bags had leaked...one zoo colony was totally waterless :grumble:

Fearing the worst I just immediately dumped the rock into my tank...

I then acclimated the other colony as normal.

Within about 10 minutes...both colonies...TOTALLY OPENED UP.

Crazy... this was a 5-7 hour bus ride to my city... god knows how long it was without water.

Good thing too...I like them a lot!

Surprising at just tough corals can be ain't it? :D
In places where Zoanthids grow on the reef crests,they can actually be left high and dry at extremely low tides baking under a hot tropical sun for hours.Then be subjected to extreme swings in temperatures and salinity.
Glad to hear they opened up and are doing good for you.

Sounds like the shipment of corals I got from Parrotchute last week. All the water was gone, and they were all dry too. The only thing that died was the SPS coral. Corals have that slime coat that can keep them alive when it's dry for quite a while.

There was an article in CORAL not too long ago talking about deep water and lagoon Zoas. You put a deep water Zoa right under MHs and you might kill them

Here is a photo of the zoos... I like them....glad they survived for sure. Anyone know what they are called?

IMG_3202web.jpg

Back