zoo's dead and living

natan

Reefing newb
After not having much luck with the first 'experimental' zoo's, I am quite happy to find these still doing well. What species is this? What is the growth rate of these fellows?

What is the deal with the fresh water therapy?

Attachments

• zoo4.jpg
    zoo4.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
All zoos are zoanthids/zoanthus.There isn't any other names for them except a bunch of different nicknames.....Eagle Eyes,Eye of Fire,etc.I'll assume those are just common zoas and should spread relatively fast.

Freshwater dips/iodine is to kill unwanted hitchhikers like nudibranches,spiders,pyramid snails that feed on zoas.Iodine in the freshwater is for bacterial/fungal infections.You won't be able to dip those zoas with the yellow polyps being on the same rock.Freshwater,although won't kill zoas,it might kill the yellow polyps though.

It's not this colony that I want to save, so no problem there. How long can I keep the sick zoanthids in FW? What form of iodine do I suppose to add?

There are a few iodine dip sold at many LFS.Kent Lugol's and Seachem Reef Dip being two iodine use to treat infections.Don't confuse iodine supplement as a dip for corals/fish.One's a treatment and the other is a trace element supplement.Regular household iodine will work from my readings but I have no idea what's the recommended amount.

5-10 minutes in freshwater is the usual length of time.I use Seachem Reef Dip which isn't as concentrates as Lugol's.One capful per 1-2gallons.

Back