Zoos vs Palys?

Well, simply put, zoas are smaller and tend to cluser really close together, so their sides are touching. Palys are usually bigger, and aren't as densely packed in.

Same family, right?

This is out of my book Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman.
Palythoa identification:
Palythoa is a very common genus of colonial anemones that often cover large tracts of reef.Usually found on reef flats and lagoons,the polys have a coenenchyme that incorporates debris and small reef elements that can comprise up to 45% of their total weight.Sediments are ordinarily removed from the surface,but finer material is transported by cilia into the mesoglea to be added to the coenenchyme,where it may reside for several years before being expelled.It appears that the material is selected on the basis of size,not composition.The colonies often grow in convex or hemispherical shapes and usually remain less than 30cm across.The polyps are broad,flat discs with knoblike,short,tapered or long,thin tentacles surrounding the disc rim.Tentacles are generally fewer than in protopalythoa.Some species also incorporate zooxanthella into their eggs.Not only do Palythoa species bind and incorporate sediments,but they are also capable od rudimentary aragonite crystal formation in a type of light induced biological mineralization.

Zoanthus:
Zoanthus are very common and fast reproducing colonies accuring throughout various reef zones.Their polyps are rarely larger than 125cm across the oral disc.The polyps do not incorporate sediments and particles into their basees or mats.Although species identification may be difficult from external observation,they do have divided sphincter muscle surrounding the oral opening that is their distinguishing anatomical characteristic.Zoanthus species normally reproduce by buds that are attached at their base to the parent colony,whereas many Palythoa species reproduce by buds of their stolons.

Nope.I called in this morning because of the icy roads.People around here cant drive on a dry road,let-alone one thats covered in ice.

sounds like some people here that think they can drive fast because they have 4-wheel drive then all the sudden the light turns red and guess who cant stop

When did you move to Colorado Yote?

Colorado would be a WHOLE lot safer than here with snow:D

sounds like some people here that think they can drive fast because they have 4-wheel drive then all the sudden the light turns red and guess who cant stop

Those are the ones I really get a kick out of.And most of bought that shiney new 4X4 SUV just because of that:D

I've been to Ringgold, GA (used to live in Rossville) he is right, better to stay home when it snows.

I bet you remember the ridge cut well then:D

That is what I was going to say the only real difference I knew of was that zoas propagate all connected where palys will have seperate buds. But "Although species identification may be difficult from external observation,they do have divided sphincter muscle surrounding the oral opening"

LOL OW! DIVIDED SPHINCTER MUSCLES! Sounds like they ate something bad!

I sort of spot feed everything, I use a turkey baster with all foods including phyto and zoo plankton and spray it over all corals specifically.

I dont really spot feed anything except for my duncans.But I do kinda broadcast feed with cyclops and rotifers,which I'm sure all my corals get some of.

Back