zoots new oceanic 175 bowfront

Like the sump and fuge set up. The height is awesome too, I made my stand 42" tall putting my tank with cap at 8 ft or more. I like the tank being eye level though.

thats exactly how i'm building my custom stand, so that the middle of the tank is exactly eye level..

the only thing that sux about that is that i'll have to have a ladder to work on the tank.

i have a little 3 step ladder i use to get in the tank
plus with the higher stand you have tons of room underneath for big skimmers, sumps etc

yea thats one of the reasons that i did my stand 43 high off the floor, cause i can stack a sump, a fuge, and an algal scrubber all in one end, and still have storage space for the salt bucket, all the electrical, and some of the test kits and stuff...

the one thing that i havent figured out where i wanna put yet is the ATO storage container... one thought that i had was to make up some 4"pvc tubes, and mount them all along the backside of the stand, to hold the ato water... i figure roughly, 30 inches tall and theres 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so thats like 1.6 gal per tube, and i'd bet i could get 5 of em in there, so thats like 7.5+ gallons of ato water...

I'm using just short of a gallon per day now, but adding the sepperated fuge, increased surface area of the larger sump, and the algal scrubber, i bet my evap losses get above a gallon per day, so thats gonna work out just about right, 7 days between refills...

im evaporating about 2 gal a day +/-
i dont have lids on my tank so it contributes
but i feel im getting better light without the lids

ive read that glass lids can cut your light by 40% or more

I dont know how much the glass would cut your light, i do know that different kinds of glass have different properties and can block certain spectrums of light, so thats something to consider.

Yep,the lids block some light,hold heat in,and dont let the tank breath as good..

AMEN on holding heat in... I checked my tank the other day and my temp was around 87... I nearly flipped out! My only problem is that my current lights sit on tank, and until I get my new ones, I need the glass to protect the lights.

1 thing i used to do when i had glass tops on my old tanks, was to remove the plastic piece on the rear of the tops

allows some of the heat to vent out

tank.jpg

got a nice slab rock to put on top
need 1 more to complete the aquascape im going for
it will go from the left hand overflow and slope up towords the middle, laying on top of the sloped slab on the right

Back