Want a new tank? 145 gal system build, I need help!!

benry

Reefing newb
Hey, I need lots of help building a sump and a stand and beautiful mixed reef tank!
Im currently looking at a 90 gal tank and a 55 gal tank, both are empty and cleaned out. Is there anything i can 'sanitize' them with to prepare them to be used for saltwater or just rinse them out with water?

What type of material should i use to build the baffles for the sump? and how do i decide how tall they should be and where to place them?

I be overthinking this and making it too complicated idk. But i know that im going to have to use an overflow box, and if the power goes out it is possible that the sump will overflow.

Thanks in advance for all your time and help!

You can clean the tanks with a 50% solution of water and vinegar, but make sure you rinse it out real good before you fill it with saltwater.
You can build the sump baffles with plexiglas from your local Lowes or HomeDepot. It's pretty much trial and error as to how high they should be, but a safe point is 1/2 to 3/4 of the height of the sump. If the baffles are set correctly, when the power goes out or you turn off the pump the water should only rise a few inches in the sump.
You can take a look at my build thread to get a few ideas.
https://www.livingreefs.com/125-reef-build-not-new-yankee-workshop-t12113.html

Where in PA are you?

Im beginning to look at your thread now. I was just doing some research and im pretty sure i want an algae scrubber, a Protien skimmer and a refugium in the sump but im already confused... I have know idea how to set this up and I want to maximize the volume of the 55 gal tank. I have had enough of trial and error and really don't feel like wasting any more money. Rebuilding everything from scratch is my last resort if this doesn't work for me im probably giving up on this hobby but I truely enjoy it, Thats why im here getting help every step of the way.Im sorry thats just my frustrations, from the past year and a half coming out. Im really hoping for detailed help on the smallest desicions.

Hey Ben. Do a search on YouTube looking for "How to build a Sump" if you still have questions or just wanna see how it's done. ccCapt has been in the hobby a long time, and is one of if not the most knowledgable person here, follow his thread and advice, you'll be fine. I honestly don't think you need an Algae scrubber if you buy a good skimmer, I don't use one and don't notice any ill effects. Make yourself a plan, and tackle the objectives one at a time. Feel free to bounce ideas of questions off us, we like helping people out, and take lots of pics, cuz we dig that even more.

Yea, i saw that video its very imformative and helps me to understand the concept of what im doingBut i want to make sure its going to work. Capt, hes the captain right? haha i Will definatly follow his lead and take all the advice i can get. Im reading through his thread and finding useful info, like everytime i read through one. I have a pretty good skimmer, its an swc 160 cone skimmer. my current setup has had a lot of PITA algea and i think the scrubber would help. Im working on planning the sump i just feel stupid everytime I look at it and im just overwhelmed i guess, im definatly breaking it down and looking at one thing at a time but Its still complicating.. Im Starting to get a little bit of a plan for the sump so ill put the peices together use some tape to mark the water levels, and take a pic for you.

Building the baffles, should i use .220 acrylic or .093 ???
How do i decide how much flow i want?
can i get that white egg crate at the hardware store?

Wow Capt! Im very impressed with Everything stand plumbing and even have your sump in the basement! I hope one day i can have that, but i guess i learn first, and theres a lot to learn. Im not as experienced with woodworking but i should be able to follow in your steps and built a sturdy stand, Would a similar design hold a 90 gal and a 55 gallon sump?

I would use the .220 acrylic for your baffles.

You can get the egg crate from Lowe's or HD

A similar design will certainly work for a 90, my 75g has a very cheap/flimsy stand and it has held up just fine.

benry-albums-02-27-11-picture998-imag0009.jpg

ok so i got the acryllic cut and i used sylicon to seal the first baffle on the first side. is just sylicon enough to hold it long term?
Also as i look at everyone elses sumps the baffle are pretty close together, how do i get them so close if there isn't enough room for me to fit my hand in to seal it? is it ok to space them out a little more?

Also the silicon will work the baffles because they wont be under much pressure and if one comes loose its not the end of the world. But if you were ever to build, say a tank out of acrylic, you would need to use weld-on the glue the acrylic pieces together

here is the baffles i installed there about 3 inches apart, and the middle one is about an inches and a half from the bottom. Im thinking about building a cube out of eggcrate rather than using pvc to build legs. does anyone see any problems with that? also how do i choose how much flow to have through my sump? Is it ok to get a sump pump from home depot? as long as it fits in the last section and will pump in shallow water right.

benry-albums-02-27-11-picture1005-imag0015.jpg

Is it ok to get a sump pump from home depot? as long as it fits in the last section and will pump in shallow water right.
I would asume no because it most likely has metal parts in it that would leach and rust with salt water. I use quiet one pumps they are good so far and have had them running for over a year with no problems. They are also on the less expensive side and got them from drsfostersmith.com
It is looking good can't wait till you get some water flowing. Good luck.

Back