A Question About Filtration- N00B Alert

drew00c

Reefing newb
I have been researching the many types of filters available on aquariums today. Having many years in the fresh water hobby I was always using either HOB filters or canisters. There seems to a large amount of negative feed back on both of these systems. I read that to have a good reef system its good to use the "Berlin" method of filtration ( Skimmer, and live rock) with no external method of filtration. My question is if I have a 90 gallon aquarium with a sufficent amount of LR and a compatible skimmer will I need to have anything else, besides maybe a small hob filter with some carbon in it. I have been reading up on sumps but I still cannot find anywhere the shows excatly how a sump works! :frustrat: I guess I can always build one as the ones online retail for 3-400 dollars. Any info would be great or a link to some where else on the forums that I cannot find :)

Andrew

A sump is really just another tank under your display tank that holds your skimmer, heater, macro algae, carbon bag, extra water volume, etc. Cleans up the DT. All it does is syphon (or overflow if your tanks drilled) down into the sump then is pumped back up to the DT.

Also in with the Berlin method is the crabs and snails etc. They are the mechanical filtration for the tank as they eat up any leftover food etc in the tank.

Ok cool, they dont really seem all the difficult to build ill have to find a good DIY diagram to explain how to set this up. One more thing, If my tank is not drilled, which there is a good chance it wont be ( i could do that to) what is the best way to siphon the water into the sump without having a ton of spillage. Also in a 90 gallon tank what is a good number for my CuC?

Running any filter (HOB or canister) can be troublesome and add to the headache of maintenance. Many high-end and newer systems are much better and make maintenance easier, but generally, water changes, a good CUC and strong skimmer will help make your maintenance for a larger tank more of a breeze.

That said, I do run a new Fluval filter a week or so out of the month. Keep in mind, however, any type of carbon filtration will extract trace elements and other necessary items from the tank that your corals/fish may need. Too much filtration and you sacrifice water clarity for nutrient deficiencies.

In my 90g I have a 30g sump and use a sock and fine mesh filter - this helps grab large particulate matter while the skimmer will grab the rest.

You'll probably find the majority using the Berlin method, as you mention above, with a good CUC and a strong maintenance routine that includes water changes of 10-15%.

Last edited:
Ok cool, they dont really seem all the difficult to build ill have to find a good DIY diagram to explain how to set this up. One more thing, If my tank is not drilled, which there is a good chance it wont be ( i could do that to) what is the best way to siphon the water into the sump without having a ton of spillage. Also in a 90 gallon tank what is a good number for my CuC?

If you siphon, just ensure that if the power were to fail, the siphon level of the extract tube is as deep as you would want for the water cut-off or siphon to break if the water were to start draining into a sump with no return.

Running any filter (HOB or canister) can be troublesome and add to the headache of maintenance. Many high-end and newer systems are much better and make maintenance easier, but generally, water changes, a good CUC and strong skimmer will help make your maintenance for a larger tank more of a breeze.

That said, I do run a new Fluval filter a week or so out of the month. Keep in mind, however, any type of carbon filtration will extract trace elements and other necessary items from the tank that your corals/fish may need. To much filtration and you sacrifice water clarity for nutrient deficiencies.

In my 90g I have a 30g sump and use a sock and fine mesh filter - this helps grab large particulate matter while the skimmer will grab the rest.

You'll probably find the majority using the Berlin method, as you mention above, with a good CUC and a strong maintenance routine that includes water changes of 10-15%.

Ok that sounds more like it :) Thanks for the tip.
Edit: So for a succesful reef system all i really need is a skimmer proper lighting a heater LR and routine water changes?

Last edited:
Edit: So for a succesful reef system all i really need is a skimmer proper lighting a heater LR and routine water changes?

That about sums it up!

Since your tank is not drilled, you will need to buy an overflow box. The two brands that get great reviews are CPR and Eschopps. I've used the CPR overflow boxes myself.

Back