advice on switching to new tank

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I have some questions on a tank switch that I want to do. I am currently running a ten gallon FOWLR and I just came across a twenty gallon tank for free. Of course I want to upgrade but am looking to use a lot of the same equipment such as the filter, heater, light, and hopefully sand. I bought a filter large enough for a fifty gallon tank so I feel like that should still be large enough for a twenty gallon saltwater and would like to use it. Is there any way that I could possibly just siphon all of the sand and water into the new tank, add the other ten gallons and transfer the fish and live rock or will that undoubtedly make my system crash? Any ideas on how I could pull this switch would be greatly appreciated.

How long has the ten gallon been up and running? A lot of times when people switch tanks they just get new sand. If your tank has been running for awhile it's not worth it to stir up all the crap that's in the sand bed (and possibly cause a cycle).

+1 Erin.

If you want to reuse your sand you will need to:
A) Wash it well first
B) Add more as you will now have 50% less than what was in the 10
C) Be prepared for a mini cycle as you will undoubtedly disturb the trapped nutrients in the rock and sand.

I had originally put enough sand in my ten gallon for use in a twenty gallon tank as I expected that I would soon want to upgrade. Best way to rinse is to put it in a bucket and continue to stir with my hand and allow water to overflow until clear????

yup, put it in a bucket, stick the garden hose in there and turn it on. Mix it with your hand until the water running out is clean and clear. Pour out the water, and put it in the tank.

then what are the steps for putting it into the new tank, put sand in fill with water, let settle and add fish and rock? Sounds scary

Put rock in first. You can fill with water and then place the sand in a zip lock bag, submerge to the bottom and open it to empty it out. A better and eaier way is instead of the bag, use a sectioun of PVC that is long enough to reach the bottom, and just pour it down, moving the pipe to allow the sand to fill the bottom of the tank evenly.

thanks a ton for all the info I guess I will try rinsing and moving sand and fish probably this next week. Hope everything goes well. A fifty gallon filter should be enough for that twenty gallon tank correct?

an aquaclear 50 hang on the back style. very small, trying to do saltwater on a budget and it isn't working, i want more and bigger already.

That looks like a freshwater filter system to me. Not saying it can't work in some capacity. I'd toss the foam, maybe replace it with a media bag with phosban.

they told me at the store that I could use it for either, it has a foam piece, a carbon bag and some bio ball things, has worked good so far, do you have a different suggestion?

The foam, and the bio-balls are going to end up causing issues for you down the road, unless you are cleaning them on a regular basis. The foam will need to be cleaned every few days to clear the crap out of it. The bio balls same thing, but not as frequently. Your live rock is a natural biological filter for your tank, and is much better. If you are already running carbon and phosban, pull the foam and put in some cheato. lose the bio balls, your rock is enough.

Back