Aiptasia!

Live Rock

Reefer
Hi everyone I have one aiptasia anemone in my LR. I read off the web that injecting them will cause them to release baby anemones, and that the injections are very toxic and that I must be ready to perform a huge water change. My aiptasia anemone is about 1 cm tall and 1 cm wide. What size do they get before they can reproduce?

Hi everyone I have one aiptasia anemone in my LR. I read off the web that injecting them will cause them to release baby anemones, and that the injections are very toxic and that I must be ready to perform a huge water change. My aiptasia anemone is about 1 cm tall and 1 cm wide. What size do they get before they can reproduce?

Chances are you have more than one, but if thats all you really have, you can use salt paste, joes juice or my fav. peppermit shrimps (the good thing about the shrimps is that they will get rid of the rest you havent seen or any new ones that may show up in the future.).

Ok, I have 3 problems.

1: My aiptasia is too big for the peppermint shrimp
2: I ordered Aiptasia X online but it will take another week to ship
3: My peppermint I bought hid too much and starved to death.

Salt paste is simply making a thick paste of salt and RO water to burn the aiptasia. You can also use Kalk paste, lemon juice or boiling water. Joe's juice works the best IME. And I wouldn't worry too much about them spreading via injections. You already have them in your system, now you just need to maintain vigalence and kill them when needed. If you get some peppermints, they MIGHT help to keep up with them when they are small.

If you are a regular at you LFS ask one of the guys there for some kalkwasser. Mix a paste and inject them. If you have any Majanos, it will work on them as well.

The anemones are too big for the peppermints I bought. Also, I just bought Aiptasia X from my LFS!:D However, the needle seems way too big for the aiptasia.

I had a small outbreak two months after my new setup after a teardown- I put two peppermints in a 180 gallon tank to control any new outbreaks and used Joe's on the established. Three weeks later I was and still am rid of the problem. Peppermints are key in keeping what you have from exploding into a more populous community. One downside is the peppermints may be the hardest buggers to remove from your tank than anything I have encountered (that is if you want them out of course!)...good luck

No they shouldn't "eat" the corals, but they can pester LPS and anemones by stealing food from their mouths...

Back