Almost ready to jump in

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
I am selling off my tanganyikan cichlids and getting into saltwater. Finally.

I just want to sit and look at a great tank. And relax.

Here is what I have, and if you gang could help me a little it would be most appreciated

1.125 gallon 72x18x22h oceanic aqaurium - non drilled

2. 2028 eheim canister filters

3. a million heaters

I have been told that a 6' T5 light will work to grow soft corals.... as long as it has a 10k light.

Also, the LFS is saying that the eheims are good, as long as I add a skimmer.

Thanks

I'd ditch the canister,or just use it to run carbon or phos-ban.There not really good for a reef tank.Of course,you could either drill the tank,or use a hang on back overflow and run a sump(which you'll eventually want anyway).Defenatly get a good skimmer.Dont skimp on that piece of equipment.
You'll need 1 to 2 pounds of rock per gallon of tank size.The cheap way is to use a lot of dry base rock and seed it with a little live rock.
As for T-5 lights.Why limit yourself to just softies?With a decent fixture,you can keep any coral you want under T-5s.
And above all,Dont rush it.Take your time and research it till you think you got it all covered.Then research it all again.A good place to start is the articles at the top of the page.

Yote is right. If you get a T5 fixture with enough bulbs (and/or individual reflectors), you can keep any coral, anemones or clams. T5s are superior lighting for reef tanks.

You should get a good skimmer. There are some cheap brands out there, and you get what you pay for when it comes to skimmers. Your LFS sounds like it is steering you in the right direction.

not all LFS are created equal thats for sure. Check his priceing aginst what you can get on the net however. I suspect his mark up on equipment is pretty steep and he probably only stocks lower end equipment so he can mark it up significantly without the price being so high it would never leave the shelve.

I went to a specialty shop today, and have discovered some things -

I dont necessarily need MH lights, an 18" footprint (width) is not so good for a reef

You really need to watch the stock list

A skimmer and sump are a great idea, although more costly

can add a calcium reactor later

there are such things as a closed loop for water flow

soft corals and hard corals can be grown without MH

Fish can be a greta part of the tank

But I still cant get a trigger for my tank if I want a reef.

Hmm

But the stuff I can sell can pretty much pay for it, so thats good news

i have a 125 with nova extreme pro and octopus extreme skimmer, and 30 gallon long tank for sump, nova extreme pro is a nice light but i like the 72" constellation made my aquactinics the best it has true individual reflectors, check out reeffreaks tank pics he has one.

I think that I am going to sell my 125 gallon, and look at a 180. I am certainly partial to a 6 ft tank, as I have had one for 3 years. The fellow at the specialty store says that a 24" wide tank is much better for reefs than 18".

I have messed around with this tank and that, and I guess I have 1-inch-itis. This is the last tank I will buy for a long time (getting married in May) so I think I am looking at a 180 gallon.

What do you think>:bounce:

I went to a specialty shop today, and have discovered some things -

I dont necessarily need MH lights, an 18" footprint (width) is not so good for a reefWhy not?

You really need to watch the stock listSure,that goes for any size system.

A skimmer and sump are a great idea, although more costlyMany people have build sumps for less the cost of a canister filter-under $100 with all supplies if you build it yourself.

can add a calcium reactor laterOnly if you are planning to go heavy with SPS corals.

there are such things as a closed loop for water flowThere are several ways to add circulation-ex.wavemaker,close loops,circulation pumps/powerheads.

soft corals and hard corals can be grown without MHSo can clams,anemones and SPS corals depending on the placement.

Fish can be a greta part of the tankWhat's a reef tank without reef fishes.

But I still cant get a trigger for my tank if I want a reef.Tell that to Biff-there are several somewhat reef safe triggers.

Hmm

But the stuff I can sell can pretty much pay for it, so thats good news

Welcome to the site,btw!

Last edited:
But I still cant get a trigger for my tank if I want a reef.

Incorrect. There are several species of trigger that are mostly reef safe. I have a pink tail trigger in my reef tank. This is one of the safest triggers. Mine doesn't touch corals, crabs, snails, shrimp, nothing. Niger triggers, crosshatch and blue chin/jaw triggers are also usually reef safe. If you really want a trigger, you can keep them successfully in a reef tank. You just need to make sure your tank is big enough for them. I love my pink tail (Tangent), and when adding a trigger, there is always a risk that it will eat your inverts, but the risk is much lower if you stick to one of these species.

Well that is certainly great news about the trigger. I just have a thing for them.

So here is what I am now looking at

180 gallon with about 200 lbs rock

Here are some questions now

1) buy a sump or make one

2) what type of skimmer do you all recommend?

3) I have looked at the coralife T5 lights, which seem to be good, but I am hearing that there are far better models out there

4) do you like closed loop for water movement, or adding powerheads (which look kinda ugly but are fairly cheap)

5) water movement is key to a reef (?) setup, so how much is too much, or it depends on corals

Thanks - sorry for asking all these questions:^::frustrat:

Well that is certainly great news about the trigger. I just have a thing for them.

So here is what I am now looking at

180 gallon with about 200 lbs rock

Here are some questions now

1) buy a sump or make one Build your own,Cheaper that way.

2) what type of skimmer do you all recommend?A lot of folks are running the Octopus skimmers.I'm planning one myself when I set my 125 up.

3) I have looked at the coralife T5 lights, which seem to be good, but I am hearing that there are far better models out thereI like the Nova Pros over the Corallife fixtures,Just personal choice I guess.

4) do you like closed loop for water movement, or adding powerheads (which look kinda ugly but are fairly cheap)Closed loops are great.But powerheads can also be tucked back under a rock to concelle them.

5) water movement is key to a reef (?) setup, so how much is too much, or it depends on coralsYep,Flow is key to a reef tank.And as long as the sands staying on the bottom,you dont have too much flow.

Thanks - sorry for asking all these questions:^::frustrat:

Not a problem,thats what were all here for.

1)Building your own will save you alot of money.Nothing wrong with buying one,if you have the $$$.Make sure if you build or buy,that it includes a refugium.I would avoid wet/drys altogether.The live rock makes a better biological filter than the bioballs that come with wet/dry sumps.

2)Octopus skimmers-Go with one rated for your system or even twice that size.Price varies from their needlewheel,recirculating needlewheel and Extreme skimmers.I believe the extremes are considered the best of the bunch but more expensive.BTW,there are other good skimmers as well but Ibelieve the Octopus has the best '' bang for the buck''.

3)From good to better-the Nova Pros,Tek,Aquactinics and ATI fixtures.I've never heard of Coralife making a T5-HO fixture,let alone one to fit a 72'' long tank.The Coralife smaller normal output T5 fixtures are useless for reef tanks.

4)You will have to drill the tank for a close loop[brave,I am not].Either will work,personally I'm using powerheads/circulation pumps.

5)You're on the right track.SPS coral will need the most flow while LPS and soft corals will need less.

I can provide links to whatever you might be interested in.

The links would be amazing - thanks!:^:

I was under the impression that the T5 Coralife lights we HO - but maybe not - it wasn't a very enthusiastic "yes you can use those with a reef" answer when I asked.....

I took my fiance to the aquarium shop and apparently when we move in a year, we, yes we.... !! will be getting a 180-210 gallon tank. Do percula clownfish need anything special - besides anemones? (do they need anemones...) She wants a nemo. lol.:bounce:

Thanks again for all the help thus far. did buy a book on reefs & reef animals to begin my research.

Last edited:
no clownfish do not need an anemone to survive and vise versa. and i didnt even know coralife made T-5's i thought they only made PC's and MH's

I am going to check in at the shop tomorrow.

Can one do a mostly fish tank with SOME corals? Or is it better to look at one way or the other.

Back