bleaching open brains?

grumpy

Reefing newb
a friend of a coworker of my says that his open brains have bleached. is this possible?
he said that his friend is using 2-25o watt halides and t5s, did'nt say how many of those.he has a 30" tall 180 mixed. he (coworker) said his friend rented a par reader to
check his lights and said the mh were measuring 2800. if this is true would'nt his be on the dinner menu. just kidding. seriuosly, has anyone got a clue of what this guy might have going on?

I've had an open brain, wellsophyllia, bleach under strong MH. then, a different colored wellso did very well in the same exact place. they're picky corals, and don't like that much light. the bleached one was put in my pico under PCs and is doing very well

My open brain bleached when I changed from the stock bulbs in my lighting fixture to brand new bulbs. I agree with Amanda -- they do seem to be sensitive to high lighting, or changes in lighting. Nothing else in my tank bleached when I switched my bulbs except for my short tentacle plate coral, which was also on the sandbed. Both corals recovered within a few weeks, and regained their original coloration.

a friend of a coworker of my says that his open brains have bleached. is this possible?
he said that his friend is using 2-25o watt halides and t5s, did'nt say how many of those.he has a 30" tall 180 mixed. he (coworker) said his friend rented a par reader to
check his lights and said the mh were measuring 2800. if this is true would'nt his be on the dinner menu. just kidding. seriuosly, has anyone got a clue of what this guy might have going on?
the 2800 would be lumens, the 250 rating is for power required to run the lights or...

"Now to the issue of watts vs lumens produced. This is a difficult
one because the wattage of a light source refers to the power
consumed to drive the source while lumens refers to the
brightness of that source as the human eye perceives it. The
wattage of course would be the sum of the heat generated as well
the energy of the light emitted."

lumens is different from the PAR, a PAR meter would not show the lumens.

https://www.livingreefs.com/lumens-and-par-t16209.html

Even if your friends MH were showing a reading of 2800 I'm guessing that was a reading above the waters surface, at about 1" below the surface you'll usually see a 50% or greater drop in the PAR reading.

Here are tests that ccCapt did with 2 250w bulbs and the 10k seems to be the highest output on the market right now.
PAR-mh.jpg

moz-screenshot-9.png

Back