calcium test kit

Ted

Living one day at a time
Ok since I have decided to do my nano contest tank with lps. I guess I am gonna need a calcium test kit. So which one? I have 5 small lps in there now. I do a 1 gallon water change every three days because there isnt a skimmer. I use reef crystal salt mix. On the bucket it says that at 1.026 sg it averages 455 ppm calcium and 1345 ppm magnesium. Do I need to get a test kit asap or can it wait a couple of weeks considering how many water changes I am doing?

I agree water changes with Reef Cyrstals will keep your parameters in line. You won't get a whole lot of calcium/alk consumption with a few LPS.

But gotta keep in mind that the coralline will be using it to.
Those API kits,though not the best,are pretty cheap for some peace of mind.

yep you should be fine with out testing if your doing weekly water changes.

if you want I prefer the salifert kit.
I am doing one gallon water changes every three days on my nano. Mainly because I dont have a skimmer on it.

I am doing one gallon water changes every three days on my nano. Mainly because I dont have a skimmer on it.

depending on your fish load you should be fine with doing that weekly. on my 12 gallon nano I do 1 gallon water change every other week, its been running for close to 5 years now with the same kids :)
I don't run a skimmer either I only have my sponge filter and I replaced the rest of the media with live rock.

I am not worried about the fish load I am worried that I will over feed when I try to feed the corals. The fish load is so light that no matter how little I feed I always have some floating around. Only one yellow clown goby a peppermint shrimp 4 hermits and 1 remaining snail.

you know, i would probably just keep doing what your doing now, the water changes, and just keep an eye on the corals, if they start not looking right, then you know a good place to start, but untill you actually have a reason, i'd say save the $ for the test kit and get another coral.. :)

What are you feeding your corals? what corals are they?

With the clown goby you could get away with feeding cyclopeeze or cyclops which will also feed your corals. Over feeding is probably the one thing that will pollute your tank for sure. Especially with the smaller tanks.

Back